Guest viewing is limited

Discuss how does a parent .......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
help ones child find the career of their dreams, knowing they are tallented, knowing that you are extraordinarily proud of them, knowing the efforts they put into their studies and work, Knowing they've gone a flippin grown up (where did that 20 years disappear to), yet not knowing the first thing about how to pursue that career...........oh it isn't tiling by the way..........or floor screeding........?

www.faetography.co.uk

It is sort of a rhetorical question but opinions and suggestions gratefully received.

S

SandyFloor

You don't need to know what to do ....just be sure they do. My knowledge of kids of that age is if you push them they will push back and nobody gets anywhere. You said ' the career of their dreams' so you have to be careful it's not the career of your dreams if you know what I mean. I went the direction my father pushed me and it's one of the few regrets of my life.

My thoughts are it doesn't matter what they do at that age as long as they do something. Sometimes you need to find out what you don't want to do in order to work out what you do want to do.

D

doug boardley

my advice would be, bearing in mind are 4 and 5 years od, is to watch, look and listen. See what makes them tick, and above all, see what makes them Happy! A career choice (imo) has got to come from the heart, and as parents we need to encourage our kids that mega bucks and material possessions aren't the key to happiness, but a foundation course wether it be vocational or non vocational is always a steady grounding. Harrison at the moment is going to be a boxing astronaut???? but hey-ho I'm not gonna knock his imagination, I do try and instill discipline with fun, no chores done = no ds time, chores done = ds time + treats. Ok I'm waffling here Al, but I think that you can only gently "nudge" your kids into a career that you think they want but if you try pushing as sure as eggs is eggs, they'll rebel.
here endeth the sermon

U

user123

Ajax, I understand why you are proud of her! As one of her facebook fans and having seen her enthusiasm I think she is doing pretty well, and the market she ist trying to break into demands people and selling yourself and business skills more than anything else. At heart I reckon she is an artist, not a business woman, (don't I know about that one!), but she already has a website, continually uploads her facebook site with new images full of enthusiasm, and the reminder of her award winning photography is there, too, considering she is so young that is really impressive. Perhaps the author's yearbook would be a good place as it gives contact details of all magazines and yearly publications, large and small, as well as publishers, so perhaps contacting publishing houses with examples of her work would be a good idea? Then there are the environment protection organisations, there might be room for photographers also...
I used to work for a photographer in London, before the great information revolution and he said the best customers are those who are vain and have a bit of a complex, NEED the exposure... I don't think that applies to animals, but there may well be a market for besotted animal owners? Just ideas ..was that what you were looking for? She seems a bright, enthusiastic woman, I think she'll go far, give it time and a bit of maturity.. :thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

youve got to give them the freedom to make their own choices in life and stand back and be ready to support them when asked

its sounds tough but its tough love and its the only way they will succeed in life

my son refused at 16 to go learn a trade as he wants to be an actor. I could see the sense of 3 years at college, which I would have paid for but he couldnt and refused tto go

hes now in stoke on trent learning to script write and hes getting A stars, hes doing well as its what he wants to do

he may turn out to be a brilliant writer on tv

or I could be sending him to college to learn plumbing

well see

the important thing was that he was allowed to make his own life descisions

D

david campbell

my 6 yr old wants to work at mcdonalds :yikes: think i'll talk him out of that one.

think of the freebies............lol:smilewinkgrin:

seriously though i think they will choose themselves what they think is best,when i was at school i was good at maths and physics,so my parents influenced me to go to college to study electrical engineering,a career where my brothers godfather and family friend worked earning great money and a good lifestyle after my H.N.C i decided i totally hated it and there was no way i was wanting to spend the rest of my life doing something i had no desire for,i ended up working as a brickies labourer for years and although i made good money and enjoyed it i realised i wanted to somehow get into tiling after doing the tiling work in my first flat i bought at 21,after several years i was doing tiling work for all my mates and still really enjoying it so decided to take the plunge and chuck working with my old man's brickie squad and do a tiling course before going out on my own to work as a tiler permanently and still to this day i really enjoy my job.without being big headed i had great standard grade and higher results and probably looked like i was heading for a profession rather than a trade but in all honesty i don't think as a person i am suited to a shirt and tie or office job and prefer a more hands on and creative job.....in the end as long as they are comfortable and happy then that should be the main thing:thumbsup:

Reply to how does a parent .......... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Ajax123

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Lincolnshire
Website
https://www.lkabminerals.com/en/products/gypsol/
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)

Thread Information

Title
how does a parent ..........
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.