UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How does your van cope in the snow? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peckers

How do you find your van copeing in the snow? Do you have a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? have you got/or had both and do you find one is better then the other?
Do you change your tyres in this weather for snow tyres or something with a better grip tread or something similiar?

I have T5 transporter swb and I am finding it difficult to get around and we have only recently had 3 inches off snow it is front wheel drive and heavily loaded there for there isn't much weight on the driving wheels. even if i turn the traction control off it doesent seem to help much!
I havent actually got stuck this year like i did last year but i am finding it hard for traction on the inclines!

I used to have a trusty rusty transit and a sprinter and these were better in the snow as the weight was on the rear wheels. RWD

So who has the best 2 wheel drive for the snowy conditions and what tyres do you have on???

S

Stewart

Front wheel drive transit with a full set of Continental VanCo winter tyres. I have a fully loaded van and even when the snow and ice was at it's worst, I still managed to get to work with ease and I've got a couple of hills to negotiate before reaching the main road.

5e0eaac0-0d5f-f206.jpg
5e0eaac0-0d98-a138.jpg

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I had to take the big wheels off mine (Caddy)as it wouldn't go anywhere. With the narrow tyres on she is reasonable, I got stuck on a hill yesterday after the rwd ambulance in front of me got stuck. after we all pushed it up I walked back down the hill to reverse and have another go when another caddy stopped beside me on the slippiest bit. "Don't stop,or you won't get going again" I said....."No problem, I've got snow tyres on" and off he set.
Oh and we had 8.5 inches of snow!!

P

peckers

I'v been tempted for alloys before for my van but left originals on as they are so strong.
Van tyres are well protected and great in sites etc so i wont change especially with the climbing ability on my van too.
I'd like to hear if any other trafic,vivaro etc are doing ok in the snow?
Ive just bought a traffic but its having a cam belt and service etc and i pick it up next week so im hoping its better then the vw
What year model have you got?

I

Ian

I'v been tempted for alloys before for my van but left originals on as they are so strong.
Van tyres are well protected and great in sites etc so i wont change especially with the climbing ability on my van too.
I'd like to hear if any other trafic,vivaro etc are doing ok in the snow?

My Vivaro was top quality until I messed with it and put new alloys on it!!! Lovely to look at, pants to drive in anything other than dry warm roads!!!

Wide wheels with ice or snow, just doesn't work!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aph257

i lived in germany for many years, where everyone has two sets of wheels/tyres one set of steel rims with winter tyres on and one alloy set with normal tyres. come the winter off come the alloys on go the steels and set of chains in the back, saying that though it snowed every year and they are used to it. we've had two consecutive now but the country will never able to justify the amount it costs to keep the roads clear. my Bro-in-law lives in the States where they even have Under Road Heating on the Interstate.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
My transit is fwd, and rubbish in the snow, it just slides sideways if the road has a camber on it, also, it's stranded me this morning with a dead battery :mad2::mad2::mad2: so I'm sitting here waiting for my charger to breathe some life into it, I'm supposed to be in London in 20 mins, so when and if I eventually get going I've got 1.5 hours journey, that's if the roads are clear:thumbsdown:

D

doug boardley

I'm spitting feathers this morning,went to pick up my l200 after phoning bank to make sure funds were cleared, "yes" they said. Went to pay for it and card declined, apparently I've now got to wait till thursday as they decided to put an extended clearing date on cheque that I deposited, and as I'd changed insurance over to take effect from this morning I can't even use my scudo in the meantime:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Reply to How does your van cope in the snow? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
New Tilers Van Insurance Provider - But what makes a good van insurance firm these days -...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, my first post. I have had a read through the forum and it seems like this is the...
Replies
Views
I think this is okay to do. I can't see this upsetting a relationship you have. But by all means...
Replies
Views
Tiling around window:. The tiles are 60X30 10mm porcelain. The wall tiles will be cut and fit...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.