Discuss How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,

Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a shower before grouting. I stupidly didn't remove a lot of it before it thoroughly dried, and while there is room to put grout in the gaps between tiles over the adhesive (in other words, the adhesive doesn't fully fill the voids), there is quite a lot of adhesive in the gaps as you can see below, and the inner edges of the tiles mostly have a thin covering of adhesive that I'm struggling to remove... I'm pretty worried this might make the shower more vulnerable to leaking in some way I'm not aware of? Maybe because the grout won't stick to the adhesive properly? Would appreciate any thoughts on whether I need to scrape more adhesive out.

And, in the process of trying to remove more adhesive I chipped a few tiles :( There's a photo of the biggest chip (about 2mm by 2mm). The other chips are tiny and I'm not worried about them from an aesthetic point of view. And I feel like I can probably figure out how to cover the larger chip (the grout we have will probably blend in with the tiles quite well at the chip is low down in the cubicle so I'm hopeful it just won't be very visible). Again what I'm worried about is the shower not being watertight somehow because of the chips. Given we fill the voids with grout, is it okay from a water resistance point of view to just cover the chips with grout too (they're all on the edges of tiles)? Or maybe urethane would be better?

Thankyou!!

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi,

Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a shower before grouting. I stupidly didn't remove a lot of it before it thoroughly dried, and while there is room to put grout in the gaps between tiles over the adhesive (in other words, the adhesive doesn't fully fill the voids), there is quite a lot of adhesive in the gaps as you can see below, and the inner edges of the tiles mostly have a thin covering of adhesive that I'm struggling to remove... I'm pretty worried this might make the shower more vulnerable to leaking in some way I'm not aware of? Maybe because the grout won't stick to the adhesive properly? Would appreciate any thoughts on whether I need to scrape more adhesive out.

And, in the process of trying to remove more adhesive I chipped a few tiles :( There's a photo of the biggest chip (about 2mm by 2mm). The other chips are tiny and I'm not worried about them from an aesthetic point of view. And I feel like I can probably figure out how to cover the larger chip (the grout we have will probably blend in with the tiles quite well at the chip is low down in the cubicle so I'm hopeful it just won't be very visible). Again what I'm worried about is the shower not being watertight somehow because of the chips. Given we fill the voids with grout, is it okay from a water resistance point of view to just cover the chips with grout too (they're all on the edges of tiles)? Or maybe urethane would be better?

Thankyou!!
You will need to rake out the adhesive then apply grout

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How much adhesive needs removing between tiles & covering a chip in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

DIY Tiling Advice Forum

Trending DIY Tiling Forum Threads

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB