UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How Much Would You Charge for this Tiling Work?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

L & R CERAMICS

Good luck mate, I wouldnt have been so greedy on this one though, you will find that that sort of job becomes quicker to you as you learn. I would probably have charged about £1200 for this plus about £260 for adhesive and grout. It would take roughly 2.5 to three days so thats good money in my books. Just be careful not to lose work through pricing. You will acheive better reputation for beig fair and lets face it, no point in havin one good payin job and then nothin for a couple of weeks!
spot on ar kid

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Cant believe how low some people go.

Just done a quote kitchen splashback on one wall across window and then right along adjoining wall approx 5sqm.

Before i started measuring up she said she had already got two quotes
first one £220
secon one are you ready for it

.................. £90 that includes adhesive, grout and trim.

If i couldnt beat it then job was going to £90 man, i just replied bye......

I did say he must be desperate for work and sort of said i do hope he does a good job, if you need me to sort it later you have my number.

I would have gone in at around £150 plus materials

Just for future reference. When you go to quote, take a few receipts for materials with you and show them what sort of price real adhesives cost.

You really have to show the difference between your skills and materials and the cheapest guy in town. Don't always say bye. Walk round the job with the customer and give them options and sort of get them to imagine you doing it cheap and what could go wrong (can't give you examples but a window wall is easy to waffle about in front of a customer, you could say look at this set out, then look at this one, now imagine if I was rushing, what would that look like? etc etc etc).

T

tjsmiler

I just got a job at £51 per square and there is 66 meters of it too..... porcelain tiles 900mm x 150mm (long and narrow)

£400 on materials...top whack

£1000 wages to another tiler... leaves me with a nice 2k :wink_smile:

I asked the guy why he chose me out of the other 6 tilers he got quotes from and he said it was because i was the only one who said things that eased him of the things he was most concerned about (his guests, health & safety, noise etc etc) plus i put together a proper proposal on letter headed paper and stuff and faxed it back to him with a breakdown of exactly would be happening. The others had either just wrote a couple of sentences with a price and one just gave him a business card with a price on the back!!!

What i am saying is that not all customers are as concerned about the cost as you may think, many of them are more interested in standard of work and a hassle free service, professionilsm, apperance etc

I don't charge that on all jobs but it's nice to get it when you can :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tileman2

Just for future reference. When you go to quote, take a few receipts for materials with you and show them what sort of price real adhesives cost.

You really have to show the difference between your skills and materials and the cheapest guy in town. Don't always say bye. Walk round the job with the customer and give them options and sort of get them to imagine you doing it cheap and what could go wrong (can't give you examples but a window wall is easy to waffle about in front of a customer, you could say look at this set out, then look at this one, now imagine if I was rushing, what would that look like? etc etc etc).

Dan, i never just said bye alhough it does read like that in the post, I explained that he must not have much work (was going to do it 5 days later so obviously hasn't). and like Darren said is probably a dole waller lol.

Thing is if you do them cheap thats the reputation that sticks, so when you do eventully up your prices your rep dgoes down the swanny.

I don't need the work, so i aint going to do cheap jobs although it would be good practice and i could to be honest undercut anybody and do it for peanuts, i currently work full time earning decernt coin.

C

Concept PHT

I had the classic one just yesterday....

Mr Smith calls me to quote a bathroom wall/floor tile and a diner floor.

I get there to Mr Smith explaining that he has been let down 4 times now by 'tilers'. THE JOB IS AN ABSOLUTE DREAM, newly skimmed walls etc....

The problem is, he has had his bathroom fitted before it was tiled, so potentially there was going to be cuts from hell to do. But when I explanied to him that I would remove all the sanitary ware / radiator etc, tile then replace it all back - including putting his shower in and handrails etc, he was delighted.

I verbally run through the scheme of work with him and basically told him his bathroom would be A1 by the time I had finished. Plumbed, tiled, the lot. He then went on to telling me that the other tilers he had round to quote couldn't tile behind the radiator and didnt really seem to know what they were talking about etc....

I then called him that night with a price as he requested.

My price was double what he had been quoted, but he took it on as I had been the only tiler to go through the whole job with him and answer questions fluently. He will also get it in writing by Tuesday morning.

The classic '4 day cowboy' strikes again......

P.S Not knocking your courses there Darren, as I know your method of delivery and course content is completely different to the others I am talking about :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How Much Would You Charge for this Tiling Work?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tiling-rates-per-square-meter-per-day-how-much-do-tilers-cha...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.