Discuss How to deal with black mould on walls. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richiep

could just be condesation ! have you a decent size radiator in the room ? as you need heat and ventalation to cure condensation. you could use bleach to get rid of the mold then use a diuhumidifier the take the moisture from the walls.

I do have a radiator in the room, although it is small, old and doesn't get very warm. Seems like i should get this rectified too then!!

R

richiep

The bleach wont kill the mould completely and it will come back. If you have a shower then its building regs to have extraction in the room anyway. As for cavity wall insulation, did you have the mould before?

Id be suprised if the mould would penetrate the grout joints as i have tiled some pretty minging bathrooms and its not happened yet.

I do have a shower, have had for 5 years now and i've never had an extractor. The plumber i had install it never mentioned anything about building regs, and i'm a little naive on that score. I think i'll definitely have to get the fan asap. Thanks.

R

richiep

When did the mould 1st appear ? After the insulation or before? Is it in just one area ?

The mould was there before i had the insulation done. I moved into this house 5 years ago and the bathroom was wall papered. I stripped it down and painted the room. At the same time i had the shower installed too, i suspect this is the cause of the problem coupled with the absence of an extractor fan. Would you agree? I'm just wondering now if the mould has led to a damp prob;em within the plastered wall. All the mould is on one wall, the window wall, and mainly where wall meets ceiling.

S

Scott

Yeah, blown insulation mate. I know new builds dont use full fill and I have no real problem with that. To me however the cavity is there for a reason and it aint to fill it!!!

So its only started after you had it done then. Sometimes its just bridges down the wall ties, they can get snots of mortar stuck on them and the water doesnt drip off them the way it should abs soaks into the insulation

Reply to How to deal with black mould on walls. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How to deal with black mould on walls.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.