Discuss How worried should I be about this Travertine install? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Dot and dabbing seems so common, surely it must take longer to do?
Last year I re- tiled a job where the previous tiler had dot and dabbed 600mm x 300mm porc tiles. A couple fell off the wall before he'd finished the job:yikes:
I went to see a job yesturday, a splashback with dot and dabbed 150mm x 75mm tiles (brick bond). No trim used anywhere even on a window, I could see down the back of the tiles! Awful grouting and no horizontal grout gaps! Apparently those sort of tiles dont have grout gaps, I had to laugh.

missyT

S

Stonehouse

Hi Panavision,

This method of tiling is known as 'dot and dabbing' generally used by tilers who are not professional or not proficient at natural stone work. As said above it is dangerous, and can also leading to patching marks left on the tiles which will be very unsightly. For you and your families own safety ou need to check yourself immediately to see if you can pop a tile off the wall, this will tell you how safe it is to walk in now.

Any tiler worth working with would be able to give a perfect finish coming off newly lined walls. You should always spread the adhesive with a trowel going in one direction only, butter the back of the tile to ensure adhesion and then push into place excelling the air from the troughs in the adhesive bed. This will give a solid bed of adhesive.

You need to check they used a suitable adhesive because they could of just used a very cheap brand, it must be flexible and cementitious.

With regards to any comeback you are in a difficult position as legally you are in the right but you are the one dealing with the confrontation with the tiler. From my experience you need to try and negotiate an amicable solution getting angry is not going to do you any favours.

P

Panavision

Thanks for all your replies - I truly appreciate every single one.

The tiler was a sub-contractor hired by the main bathroom contractor. I was assured of the tiler's quality, and of many previous recommendations. The main contractor says he feels his own reputation's been tarnished by what's been done in his name.

It's now been agreed that the tiler will not return. I've contacted the stone producers, the adhesive manufacturer (Weber), and Marmox. They all say this installation is poor, breaches British Standards, and makes improper use of their products. They've also said the same as each of you: the tiles, boards and other materials will need to be replaced from scratch. Add to that, the The Tile Association is catergorical - this method of fixing is unacceptable.

I've made clear that the individual who's hired to put this right must be a member of the TTA, must have past examples of
work to show, and must have a full insurance-backed and TTA-supported guarantee. I've also made clear that I am not shouldering the cost of that refit.

And, just to note, the tiler continues to insist his work is fine. He says he's been doing this for 20 years and there is no problem with it whatsoever. The bathroom contractor is taking-up all of this with the tiler.

Your advice on here continues to be more valuable than you know. My family has now been without a bathroom for several weeks, and my wife is constantly in tears. Having saved so long to create a beautiful space in our home, it's gut-wrenching to see what's happened.

Thanks again,

Panavision

M

Mike

Thanks for all your replies - I truly appreciate every single one.

The tiler was a sub-contractor hired by the main bathroom contractor. I was assured of the tiler's quality, and of many previous recommendations. The main contractor says he feels his own reputation's been tarnished by what's been done in his name.

It's now been agreed that the tiler will not return. I've contacted the stone producers, the adhesive manufacturer (Weber), and Marmox. They all say this installation is poor, breaches British Standards, and makes improper use of their products. They've also said the same as each of you: the tiles, boards and other materials will need to be replaced from scratch. Add to that, the The Tile Association is catergorical - this method of fixing is unacceptable.

I've made clear that the individual who's hired to put this right must be a member of the TTA, must have past examples of
work to show, and must have a full insurance-backed and TTA-supported guarantee.
I've also made clear that I am not shouldering the cost of that refit.

And, just to note, the tiler continues to insist his work is fine. He says he's been doing this for 20 years and there is no problem with it whatsoever. The bathroom contractor is taking-up all of this with the tiler.

Your advice on here continues to be more valuable than you know. My family has now been without a bathroom for several weeks, and my wife is constantly in tears. Having saved so long to create a beautiful space in our home, it's gut-wrenching to see what's happened.

Thanks again,

Panavision
I doubt that just because someone has joined the TTA that it guarantees their status as a top notch professional. There's lots of professionals on here who aren't members of the TTA but can show previous work and guarantee a top job. you can advertise for a tiler in your area on this site

Reply to How worried should I be about this Travertine install? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How worried should I be about this Travertine install?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.