UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How would licencing effect you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Thanks Frank, my mate Ozboz aka steve is from the gold coast, he is working in the UK atm, he is originally from England.

When he first came back to the UK he commented on the poor prep work ie. screeding/plastering over here, he told me about the BSA licensing, I thought yeah, this is just what we need in the UK, but from what you say it seems cowboys will still slip through the net, shame.:thumbsdown:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Over reglation would stifle competition and regardless of peoples personal opinions competition is a good thing. Licencing could easily lead to corruption and would disuade new entrants to the trade. The trade would slowly but surely stagnate and die and polished concrete for which you dont need a licence would become the norm............ Alternatively it could be a good thing if it is managed properly but when have you ever known government managed industries to work properly

That is the down side of it Doug hasn't reached Tas yet but they keep saying its coming (so is Christmas) will be interesting how they issue them,

Mind you building inspectors are asking for details of waterproofing more and more and the builders cant get final ticket of completion unless form is filled out and sighed

Same here Jay. But really , what would be the purpose of regulation and licensing but to serve as protection of the customer be it a builder or granny smith. It will serve those who use it well.
But its a bit like wearing a seatbelt. you can choose to wear it or not .the consequences are yours to have.
To the builder or tiler, If you get caught without it = get fined. If granny smith doesn't use it she might have a problem or she might not, its her money to throw down the toilet if it all turns to custard.
Oh and I can't really see Tiles giving way to polished concrete.T:lol:iles have been going down for thousands of years cant see the trade falling away because of a bunch of cowboys bucking the system. But at the moment without regulation you'll continue to see these butchers and their work more and more. :incazzato:

surely the licensing would end up just like the nvq/cscs sytem. In a previous life I was an nvq assessor for a different skill set and I do appreciate that these things can bring value, but when you have a bloke down the pub who can give you the certificates for "£200 no questions asked" it just becomes a waste of money and undermines any value.

It becomes the same as these trusted/approved tradesman sites, if you are willing to pay enough someone will approve you. I personally prefer the old fashioned method of building a good solid reputation based on work performed and customer feedback.

J

jay

If all new builds had to have licensed trades people (sparkeys plumbers and tilers) then the tradesman becomes responsible for his work (as your licence number goes on record for that job) so any issues can be sorted by the tradesman responsible or risk loosing there licence (if the system is set up correct) sort of a win for the customer and a win for the tiler as the customer will look for a licensed tiler .less chance of getting riped off

J

jay

Money talks

Dont know if the licencing side was run by an association run by mainly tilers would be better
something with a registry that allows the public to check weather there tiler is licensed (or not financial or been removed due to faulty work) something simple might work and being ran by tilers themselves it would be in there best interest to keep it honest and above board as there trade is on the line (government backed would be good)

there licence number could be on there business card for cross reference with the registry (name and number) so jo blo cant use someones number

Last edited by a moderator:
it does indeed, I've run in to a fellow a few times now that drives a nice new(ish) van, all professionally sign written, looking very good. His work is absolutely terrible, but he gets work because he looks the part.

About every 6 months he changes the name, gets the van redone and continues getting work from new unsuspecting customers. He admits that his reputation basically costs him, a new sign job (£400) but that is nothing compared to what he hits the customers for, "hit them hard and fast" is his motto

F

FrankM

The licencing system set up in Queensland mentioned by Frank ,seems to be a joke and does very little for the tilers (typical government run sham) and for the money they pay there should be more help

The licensing system is set up for the protection of consumers, as it would be if it were set up anywhere in the world. Protection for reputable tradespeople can only ever be secondary.

There have been quite a few changes with the governing Authority in the last couple of years. At the beginning their role was purely reactive, by that I mean that they became involved only when things went wrong. They have now become a lot more proactive, holding training seminars, shooting videos etc and they make these videos publicly available via their youtube channel ( bsavideochannel's Channel - YouTube if anyone's interested). I am a member of two advisory panels for the Authority, one on waterproofing and the other on tiling.

I think it's finally heading in the right direction.

P

Peter

Sounds like a good idea in theory but wouldn't make any difference in reality. I know plenty of sparks and plumbers who have the NIC EIC/ Gas Safe stickers on the van but they're not exactly the cream of the trade, far from it infact.

Would maybe make a difference on commercial site work but won't make an iota of difference to private installations, which is the part you need it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How would licencing effect you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Some adhesives give info (not seemingly Mapei). I think the Mapei Standard Set Plus would suit...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.