UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss how's the last year been for you? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
obviously I dont work for myself so it is slightly different but in all honesty I have had the best year ever workwise. More people moving to Gyvlon screeds than ever before. Acheived my targets by Mid November, ha most of december off on holiday and looking forward to more of the same next year......... . Started singing semi professionally as part of a duet with one of the most tallented singing partners I could have wanted. Done several gigs and about to make a record..........couldnt have asked for better workwise

Sadly personal wise thats a whole different story. Dad fell ill at CHristmas last year and passed away in Feb, Very good freinds wife died April, Wifes Grandfather died, Mum taken ill, I been diagnosed with Crohns disease, My uncle died, Several freinds made redundant, one lost his house, Sn continues to be challenging due to ADHD, Daughter cant find a job, leaky roof and the shower drain blocked up. Wife Nan taken into hospital early this week due to social services incompetence, nothing wrong with her just very very old but they now have to keep her in untill they sort out the right equipment at home, Christmas in hospital - not nice..........

No wonder i enjoy my work so much......

Still Im sure lots of people got it worse than me ..... at least I got food and telly and a laptop to access tilersforums.com

H

hillhead

2011 has been a funny old year for me.
With so much doom and gloom about I started the year as usual, low rates and just keeping head up.
As the year progressed I began upper end work especially in the latter months with some truly spectacular houses etc.
Good outlook for 2012 with plenty booked in thankfully.
Personal wise it's no been bad, my wife still loves me, lol. Or is it my wallet... Oops. Lol.
No holidays taken but I did manage to get a bit of work done in the house and I'll get more done this year.
My youngest of 4 kids started secondary school so at 11 years of age I have a big baby now.( I must be getting old).
More biking needed this year and a new bike in the pipe from last night over a few drinks with a bike shop owner, lol. Get in there me.
Funny I thought, but.......
Happy Christmas to all, I'm gonna enjoy this one so let's get to it folks.
PS is that a reindeer I hear?

Early last year my wife and I went on 2 week holiday the first time in many years.We had a fantastic time. After we got home I immediately started planning our next one. Things were looking good. HOWEVER!!! Late last year my daughters marriage came to very messy end after 2 years of abuse from her poxy husband and she subsequently attempted suicide once last september and once early this year. We got her home and things were starting to look good again when I had my accident, broken back and shattered left leg and to make it worse my daughter saw the whole thing happen in front of her.She later told me it was the scariest she had ever felt. She had been working with me for about a month and we intended to train her and work with me permanantly. However the accident was to be the end of my 28 year career and any chances of working with my daughter.
Spent three weeks in hospital and to make things worse my wifes mothers health deteriorated and was in another hospital at the same time. I was only home for 2 weeks when she died.
This year has been absolute hell for all of the above but during this time and presently I am in constant pain every day as my injuries were so bad even after nearly 10 months . My wife misses her mum really bad and I've had to step up and be her rock for a change but lately with the constant pain and not being able to work for a living is starting to take its toll on me. :thumbsdown:Anyway perhaps next year will be better. I will have to look for a job in 3 or 4 months so i've got that to contend with.
After reading your posts I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortunes and tradgedies but as you can see you are not alone, as I would sometimes think, so thanks for sharing your comments and I hope things get better for you. And lets not forget to share our good times too, ay? They will come, because there's always tomorrow:thumbsup:

M

Mike

Early last year my wife and I went on 2 week holiday the first time in many years.We had a fantastic time. After we got home I immediately started planning our next one. Things were looking good. HOWEVER!!! Late last year my daughters marriage came to very messy end after 2 years of abuse from her poxy husband and she subsequently attempted suicide once last september and once early this year. We got her home and things were starting to look good again when I had my accident, broken back and shattered left leg and to make it worse my daughter saw the whole thing happen in front of her.She later told me it was the scariest she had ever felt. She had been working with me for about a month and we intended to train her and work with me permanantly. However the accident was to be the end of my 28 year career and any chances of working with my daughter.
Spent three weeks in hospital and to make things worse my wifes mothers health deteriorated and was in another hospital at the same time. I was only home for 2 weeks when she died.
This year has been absolute hell for all of the above but during this time and presently I am in constant pain every day as my injuries were so bad even after nearly 10 months . My wife misses her mum really bad and I've had to step up and be her rock for a change but lately with the constant pain and not being able to work for a living is starting to take its toll on me. :thumbsdown:Anyway perhaps next year will be better. I will have to look for a job in 3 or 4 months so i've got that to contend with.
After reading your posts I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortunes and tradgedies but as you can see you are not alone, as I would sometimes think, so thanks for sharing your comments and I hope things get better for you. And lets not forget to share our good times too, ay? They will come, because there's always tomorrow:thumbsup:

Wow that's so sad, 2012 can only be a better year for you bobby, I hope both you and your daughter get better and good luck on the job front

tapatalk on my HTC

P

Pebbs

I have read about your years and a couple of you have had me in tears, because in some ways I have had a rough time but not as bad as a few on here.
Work wise its been ok, , the usual highs and lows and a few more to add to the pile. 2011 will be remembered for me being thrown of site and then being banned, for a certain large stone company folding and taking with it a pot load of our retentions, and losing a major contract at the start of December after putting in months of work. 2012 is booked through till the summer, but I always know there is always someone out there snapping at my heels.

On the personal side, my mum was dreadfully ill in September, and I nearly lost my mind with grief sitting at the hospital day in and day out. She pulled through and it has put things into prespective, what is really important. So next year we are going back to Ireland for a week or so, God willing. I have also knocked the smoking on the head, after a two week bout of Acute Bronchitis prior to Christmas.

Lynn

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
A mixed year for me, mega busy workwise, so very happy in that respect, but lost my Grandmother in November.

So far this year is looking very good and we just got ourselves a pup after a long wait. See if anyone can guess what she
is. and I hope everyone has a cracking year this year. :thumbsup:

Early Jan 2012 027.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to how's the last year been for you? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
L
Morning everybody, Just thought id pop by say hello has been a while since I last visted...
Replies
Views
4,858 of 4,965 people found the following review helpful 5.0 out of 5 stars Oh the shame...., 3...
Replies
Views
G
One year, I decided to buy my mother-in-law a cemetery plot as a Christmas gift... The next...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
M
Afternoon just putting my input in so you dont think iv disappered. Monday night i found a...
Replies
Views
mikethetile
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.