UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I am willing to pay £20 for 10 minutres of advice on these questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mlangley1

Hi,

I'm doing up a new house I just bought and trying to work(plumber) at the same time. Got to admit that in between organising my own jobs, ordering materials, quoting, accounting KIDS!! I'm a bit worn out.

Been back and forth on the best way to proof my bathroom and feel I just have too much info - is there a possiblility that people are over complicating the whole wetroom/tanking methods.

So If anyone wants £20 for a 10 minute phonecall, then I'd appreciate it.

Here are some questions id need advice on.

Have a bathroom 9sqm with freestanding bath, walkin shower, double basin, toilet.

I've layed 18mm wbp softwood ply on joist - will fix well and nog perimeter joints.

Laying a Marmox 1000x1000 showerlay tray with centre drain supported with the same 18mm ply

On the stud walls I'm laying cement board (prob aquapanel from Wickes - any better recommendations)

I then plan to use Mapei Aquadefence and coat the whole damned bathroom going up around 1m on the walls (obviously all around shower area)

Using 5 Sqm UFH then tiling porcelain tiles everywhere including walk in shower area.

I'm then gonna have a bath.

1. Should i prime both sides of ply? What primer?

2. whats the correct order: UFH, tanking, adhesive, tiles - was told i need to lay UFH then screed/adhesive, then tank then adhesive then tile

3. didnt want to use backerboards because I believe the aquadefence will not raise the floor as much as the board - is that right?

4. Marmox Showerlay tray - should I spend the extra or if installed correctly should this be ok?

5. Will I really need to lay a de coupling membrane?

6. Anyone recommend an ufh going onto ply wood - Devi, warm up etc..

7. What should I have for breakfast tomorrow? (wonder if your still reading :) )

I'm happy to transfer, paypal anyone who wants to give me 10 minutes and I WANT to pay for your time.

Cheers

Mark
plumber

D

Daz

Hi & welcome Mark.

I dunno if you've received your answers yet but here's a starter for you...

1. It is recommended that you prime the underside and sides before installing the ply. Check the spec on the adhesive bag to define whether you should prime the face of the ply prior to tiling.
2. Most professional tilers will apply a latex (or fibre based) floor smoothing compound over the heating wires to protect and ensure that there are no air pockets (that could cause hotspots). You can tank before or after UFH.
3. I've never used Aquadefence and I don't no anything about that product - sorry.
4. Never used the Marmox formers but I'm sure it will be fine if installed correctly.
5. Not really a necessity for porcelain tiles.
6. Check out our sponsor, Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Frost Protection | Uheat. Also, be aware that you shouldn't really install anything over 100W/sqm onto a plywood substrate.
7. I agree with TJ - bacon sarnie! maybe treat yourself to an egg with it too.

Good luck, keep asking questions and we'll try to help.

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I am willing to pay £20 for 10 minutres of advice on these questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
I am willing to pay £20 for 10 minutres of advice on these questions
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.