Discuss Ideal Home Show- How To Tile a Bathroom.............. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Went to this yesterday, one of the demos on the main stage was this chap promoting some tiling products The Tile Tracker... Level Tracking in Level Time - Home.
Actually a couple of them looked quite good and I'll start another thread on Tiling Tools section asking if anyone uses them.
Anyway he was doing a 1hour demo 'How To Tile Your Bathroom', taking questions etc about tiling, decades of experience etc and most of what he said made sense until he advised, without any qualification, that you should ALWAYS use PVA to seal the substrate :yikes:
I had to pull him on it but waited 'til he finished and spoke discreetly. He looked a bit sheepish and agreed that pva could break down on contact with water but 'it was better than not sealing'. He then added that people asked him if they should use backerboard but he said they were a waste of money because the grout protected the substrate from water ingress so no need!!!
This was an official show demonstration, incredible............:thumbsdown:

aflemi

TF
Arms
Seeing as he is trying to say that 'expensive' tilers can be taken out of the game with some simple batten stands (Yeah 'cos that's all the knowledge that is required of a tiler!) I would have picked him apart all through his demo rather than let him hoodwink a crowd
I was going to but the wife said 'don't get into a public argument and embarass me again..............'

aflemi

TF
Arms
But why do we need the same subject posted twice Mr Aflemi ?
Not same subject, other post was purely about the tools (that's why it was in the Tools section) this one was about the technical advice he was giving at a fairly high profile event. Though I'm sure someone will make a comment that this is about a tool as well..............

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ideal Home Show- How To Tile a Bathroom.............. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB