Discuss ideas for 3 steps down to new en suite? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Marcotiles

Hi currently looking at a situation where a new en suite is soon to be created by knocking through to another room with a circa 560mm high difference. Looking at creating a 3 tread mini staicase, with (from memory) a 400mm 'landing' as required by building regs for stairs near a doorway. Anyone with any experience of this?

I've seen some places where you can order to dimmensions on line, but as with stairs they have 'nosing' on the edge ok when carpeted, but want to tile so no good then! Could just stain/varnish, but not sure this would be suitable down to a small ensuite.

I know some will reply 'leave it to a chippie!', but even if they were to build it I want to be clear of the best design. Also not to shoddy with a hammer and saw, so still tempted to build myself!

Not tiled steps before, so not sure about what to look out for, edging beeding, no slip, adhesive etc.

Anyone experinced similar or got some ideas?

Cheers in advance for ideas!

S

SandyFloor

I would get a sheet 25mm ply and sketch out the profile of the steps and cut it out. You can use this for the template for the other side then. You then tie them together with 4" x 2" cls to the width required to form a unit. All you have to do then is cut and fit the treads, risers and platform and screw and glue them on top. I would fit the treads on top so allow 25mm (plus depth of tiles) off when marking out the profile. You then have a solid ply unit ready to prep for tiling. I don't know what width the steps would be but may need a mid profile for rigidity. It may also need a ply panel to the rear to help keep it square and rigid.

M

Marcotiles

Thanks Mosaic - straight steps, around 700 wide covering around 900 mm out from wall (250mm for 2 steps plus top 'landing' of around 400mmas near door). Speaking to planning control tomorrow to see if a landing is needed as they can possibly be classed as steps not a staircase.

Thanks Sandyfloor - gets round the nosing issue plus within my skills! Would you then use a hardibacker typye material on top of the ply? Presumably a flexi adhesive? Do people use a special anti slip type corner beading on the lip of each step?

I

Ian

If you are going to use backer board aswell as ply, use 18mm ply and a 6mm backer board otherwise you will have 31mm tread and riser. As Sandy has already said 25mm ply is more than suitable on its own. As for the nosings use a chrome or stainless steel square edged trim and mitre the corners, heres a step I built S7300371.jpg
These tiles are polished porcelain, probably not advisable for a bathroom area (bit slippy when wet!) And yes, flex adhesive and flex grout

Reply to ideas for 3 steps down to new en suite? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Hi, Looking for some advice.... A returning client has came to me in a bit of a dilemma and...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L
A
Hi all Am new to this, just had my en-suite ripped out and replaced, tiles are floor to...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
ideas for 3 steps down to new en suite?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.