Discuss In need of advice screed/ slurry /tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's quite an old fashioned method. Similar to the old pressed wet bed method and similar to laying terrazzo. However, I'm not even sure it would work with porcs as they may be too brittle to withstand vibration. I would have thought with modern adhesives there would be a much easier option.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry I just got a chance to reply, TJ is correct we did thousands of m2 using this method visqueen mesh 60mm semi-dry 4:1 screed, with OPC slurry,(monolithic) all laid in one.

Afright is right too ZinZig ( Buchtal).

Not sure about fixing porcelain this way, I think you would need to add polymer to OPC slurry. ZinZig are dust pressed so they will draw in the OPC slurry, but the low porosity of porcelain would need a polymer to bond imho.

Power vibro damn good method.

T

Would vibrating it break the porca phil ?
I knows its hard but its brittle as well, erm if you know what i mean :)

Don't think so Craig as the screed will give, we worked on boards as shown in the pics to spread the weight, we also wore snow shoes to walk on tiles when vibrating.

This method works better with small tiles, ie. 150mmx 150mm/ 100mmx 200mm/ 150mm octagons.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Don't think so Craig as the screed will give, we worked on boards as shown in the pics to spread the weight, we also wore snow shoes to walk on tiles when vibrating.

This method works better with small tiles, ie. 150mmx 150mm/ 100mmx 200mm/ 150mm octagons.

Ah ok, i see, did not look at pics.
Nice one phil, hope you ok mate

S

sparx83

Phil,

Thanks for the info,

i am looking at installing the

Argleith

hexalith

using the method advised above,

can anyone recommend a supplier of the tiles? or an Argelith agent?

I was looking to either find someone experience in using this technique to do the job or some advice for my friend joiner/tiler to do the laying of these,

i was planning on getting a screening contractor in to lay the screed on the slope thats required, and having a fall towards some drains, as this would make the laying a lot easier for whoever is doing it, or what do you think?

and then either get someone experienced or my mate to follow someones advice, i don't mind paying someone,

what do you think.

Cheers

wayne

TF
leeds
I used to lay these floors too. Very hard graft but decent money to be earned. All I remember is tonnes of screed getting delivered every morning and a minimum of 4 pallets of hexagons to unpack, load out and clean up. Oh and then at the end of the day the small matter of epoxy grouting the previous days work. If anyone goes to do the job I would be willing to help out.

T

I used to lay these floors too. Very hard graft but decent money to be earned. All I remember is tonnes of screed getting delivered every morning and a minimum of 4 pallets of hexagons to unpack, load out and clean up. Oh and then at the end of the day the small matter of epoxy grouting the previous days work. If anyone goes to do the job I would be willing to help out.

Wayne, if you search tungsten tips post, ask Phil Hobson about hard work, we used to love Sunday's we only had to grout 600m2 easy day.

T

Phil I used to work for a company in Crewe called Sgl acotec or ancorite.A lot of the lads I know worked a kemtile as well you may have seen them around. Used to love it but hard graft. Most of the lads I worked with have retired now only a couple left working.

Wayne I worked for Ancorite when Bob Howard and Neil McConnell where there.

Reply to In need of advice screed/ slurry /tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB