UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Installation of hardiebacker 250/500 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

There have been a few threads recently asking questions about the correct procedure for overboarding wooden substrates with hardiebacker cement board. I did one earlier in the week and took a few photos, so hopefully this will help answer a few questions.

First things first, hardiebacker provides no extra structural strength to the substrate, any deflection MUST be rectified prior to its installation.

22mm chipboard substrate, hoovered and primed with SBR.

516d4b53-0a98-7058.jpg

Boards cut to size using a carbide scoring tool, usually 3/4 deep scores are enough, then snap the board.

516d4b53-0af9-95dd.jpg

Boards are then stuck to the substrate using a SPF adhesive, some people have mentioned that a non flexible adhesive will suffice, I disagree, I think it is good practice to use SPF throughout an install on a wooden substrate.

516d4b53-0b6d-6f30.jpg

A 4/6mm trowel is used to spread the adhesive.

516d4b53-0bfe-1866.jpg

Boards are laid in a brick bond fashion, and on larger floors can be laid in herring bone to shorten the joints. 2/3mm spacers are used to create an expansion gap.
516d4b53-0d42-9cfa.jpg

516d4b53-0c3a-ae6c.jpg

Boards are screwed to the substrate while the adhesive is still wet, this install was hardiebacker 250 (6mm) so 25mm screws were used. Screws have been placed at 200mm centres, approximately 30 screws per 1200x800 board.

516d4b53-0cb5-c13c.jpg

After sticking and screwing the boards, remove the spacers and tape the joints with an alkaline resistant tape.

516d4b53-0da4-e815.jpg

You are now ready to tile!

Here is a link to the James Hardie web site for any additional information and safety advice http://www.jameshardie.co.uk/developer/products-backerboard-hardiebacker250.shtml

I hope this is of use to someone, if I have missed anything, let me know and I'll edit it in.

Cheers Bri.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPad

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perfect Tiling

Good post Bri. I always walk around on the board straight after laying just to help bed into the adhesive. Have done larger floors and used a colated type screwgun which saves a lot of time...also saves your fingers from the pozi bit going into the bone...ow. It still hurts!!!! I always trowel over the taped joints same as suave then feather out with a damp sponge...looks good when all done and much better than ply.

S

Stef

Snapping screws? How strange. Screws are definately better than nails as they pull the boards into the adhesive, I'd be a bit concerned about voids if nails were used.

The screws we bought were from Screwfix, stainless steel, I was putting them in with an impact driver & the heads were snapping off of a few of the screws. Not sure if the impact driver has too much torque as im driving the screws home.

I walk over the sheets when stuck down so they are getting a good bond then nail them straight away, you can see the nail pulling the board into the adhesive.

We have never had a failure using this method yet but thats not to say it is the right method.

I had to rip up a cutting (200mm X 800mm) of hardie from a chipboard floor & i couldnt believe the grip it achieves,

It took me a good 10/15 mins to get it removed.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

The screws we bought were from Screwfix, stainless steel, I was putting them in with an impact driver & the heads were snapping off of a few of the screws. Not sure if the impact driver has too much torque as im driving the screws home.

I walk over the sheets when stuck down so they are getting a good bond then nail them straight away, you can see the nail pulling the board into the adhesive.

We have never had a failure using this method yet but thats not to say it is the right method.

I had to rip up a cutting (200mm X 800mm) of hardie from a chipboard floor & i couldnt believe the grip it achieves,

It took me a good 10/15 mins to get it removed.
wow an impact -screwdriver ! i thought they were for removing rusted screws ,surely a normal battery driver would do Robson,lol

Reply to Installation of hardiebacker 250/500 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bought some sheets of 6mm insulation board to install on my bathroom floor. (It has blue...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.