UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Installation of hardiebacker 250/500 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Plumbing Tiler

Great post thanks Bri, very helpful, just a quick question, when you say that any deflection should be rectified before laying the Hardiebacker, do you mean by say laying SLC first to even it up?, I have a chipboard floor to do that is out by 10-15mm in places and was thinking of self levelling first then putting the Hardiebacker down onto the SLC with SPF, if this is acceptable would the SBR be ok to prime the chipboard with ready for the SLC (which will be Weber Floorflex)?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Great post thanks Bri, very helpful, just a quick question, when you say that any deflection should be rectified before laying the Hardiebacker, do you mean by say laying SLC first to even it up?, I have a chipboard floor to do that is out by 10-15mm in places and was thinking of self levelling first then putting the Hardiebacker down onto the SLC with SPF, if this is acceptable would the SBR be ok to prime the chipboard with ready for the SLC (which will be Weber Floorflex)?

The deflection is the movement up and down. By fitting extra noggins between the joists @ 450mm centres this would generally eliminate deflection. Then screw the chipboard back down including fixing to the extra noggins.

P

Plumbing Tiler

Thanks John, sorry my mistake!, the floor is actually very solid and therefore deflection free, I do usually add extra noggins where there is movement as I like to go for the belt and braces approach whenever possible but I don't think it would help on this occasion as I think the problem with the level is caused by the joists resting on the stone chimney breast from either side and this seems to be causing a raised "bump" in the middle of the room so at the sides it "dips" by 10-15mm, how would you deal with this difference?, I am thinking of putting SLC on the side bits to bring them up to level of the centre of the room before overboarding the lot with Hardiebacker.....cheers :thumbsup:

M

Mr Tiler

Can't believe this post...

in all fairness the useage of adhesive is simply to fill the voids (which is noncence of course it creates a bond between substrate and cement board!) but if the floor is flat what would be the point in using pva or the correct primer? are you expecting the pva to act like glue? i.m.o if the floor was flat as a pancake I would simply use a smaller trowel.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I dont understand what is wrong with PVA after all your sticking it to wood lol??...if there are voids then yes use some rapid set but if the floorboards/chipboard floor is allready flat then i think i would p.v.a onto it...i no of a professional who actually does this. just have never myself thats all...YET. lol

Does Mr Hardie suggest to stick it with PVA?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Installation of hardiebacker 250/500 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bought some sheets of 6mm insulation board to install on my bathroom floor. (It has blue...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.