Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Insulation board type in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mw12

Hi,

I’m about to order and lay my first UFH system on a cement screen – laid 5 months ago. I’m tempted to use cement faced tile backer boards as although more expensive I have a feeling that I will be able to walk on them while laying the mat, pouring SLC, tiling etc without worrying about squashing them.
Am I worrying over nothing and should go with the cheaper foam based option?
If I do, do I need to take precautions when standing on foam insulation boards?

I’m not a big fella, just worried that my 10mm insulation might look like a pancake in the end.

Thanks

Martin.

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Ipswich
Hi Martin,

EkoBOARDS have the same compressive strength as construction boards such as Marmox.

We have sold over 60,000 Ekoboards in the last 3-4 years and I know similar products are used in other countries like Norway.

If you'd like to discuss either EkoBoards or Marmox, etc., please do not hesitate to give us a call - 01394 384077 and we'll work out a TF price for you.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If you're really worried about either (as uHeat noted, they have the same compressive strength) you can use plywood over the boards where you're pouring at the time, sort of thing.

We used to wheel wheeling barrows over them with screed in by using scaffold planks.

It's all quite tough stuff. Stab either with a high heel though and you'll see the mark left.

M

mw12

Thanks for the replies, 2 to 1 for non-cement faced so far so probably worth a chance on my part considering the cost implication – I’m doing 20m2 so price difference is quite big!
Guess I probably got a little scared after seeing the “insulation board” offered to me by the local building merchant. It was just a sheet of polystyrene that had all the rigidity of custard.

Compression strength though, as I understand it this is per m2 so if the compression is in a small area e.g. a foot print there is good chance of damage right?
Concern for me is mainly when I’ve poured the SLC and then stand/ kneel on it to tile, if the insulation board compresses I’m thinking pot holes…

Good point about the boards though Dan, didn’t think of this simple solution.

and no danger on the high-heel front, the Mrs runs a mile when anything strenuous needs doing and I haven’t got the legs for them :lol:

Martin.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Martin,

I don't think you'd be taking a chance at all mate.

You can damage the cement-faced boards just the same as without the cement layer. They're exactly the same thing. The cement face simply allows adhesive to stick to that and not the insulation, yet the adhesives these days are quite capable of sticking to the insulation.

Think of it this way; on a 10mm board with the cement face, you have 8mm insulation. On the board without the cement face, you have 10mm insulation. It's pure, cost effective, and has exactly the same compressive strength.

I doubt you'd see pot holes in either, only dusty foot prints. :thumbsup:

Reply to Insulation board type in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
1950s ex council house, solid concrete floors, about to have the ground floor tiled - hall...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Insulation board type
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.