Discuss Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

Hey, If I lived near you I could have made you a timber version that looks like the door in your link.

You could get a joiner to make double doors from door blanks, yuo can get the grooves routered into the door to create the cladding effect and cut out window opening at the tops. these would ofcourse be two opning doors but they can be made to look like the door in the picture.

Good thing with these door is that they come in sizes up to 1200mm so two of these and the door frame will give you an opening of aything up to just over 2400mm.

Could be a wee project for you and your man?

U

user123

Hey, If I lived near you I could have made you a timber version that looks like the door in your link.

You could get a joiner to make double doors from door blanks, yuo can get the grooves routered into the door to create the cladding effect and cut out window opening at the tops. these would ofcourse be two opning doors but they can be made to look like the door in the picture.

Good thing with these door is that they come in sizes up to 1200mm so two of these and the door frame will give you an opening of aything up to just over 2400mm.

Could be a wee project for you and your man?

Nice idea, but perhpas no cheaper than getting the replacement door with windows in the first place? And wee projects... got enough of those, trust me.. :)

U

user123

Mosa do you need planing ? if not you could build you a frame fix backer board or cement board on the front i could give you the real brick slips to stick on put any old window in problem solved:hurray:

Yes, I would need planning and the whole thing is that I am perfectly happy with the garage as it is and love the large access, and just love letting the sun and air stream into the whole garage on the rare occasion it does shine - I just want front facing windows without much hassle nor much expense. Nice offer though.. and I will keep all the suggestions in mind - hubby wants part of the other garage as a recording studio, maybe, at some point, so you never know how things will get shifted about in time. The whole house is being changed about all the time to fit the work both of us are doing..:lol: even thinking of maybe building another floor on top of the garages eventually, again planning would be needed, and loads and loads of spare cash...

Look gorgeous :lol: but those waves are a bit close for comfort... if it wasn't for that blocks of flats between us and the sea we WOULD have uninterrupted seaviews... I keep thinking of kicking them over... :smilewinkgrin:

U

user123

Yep, Andrew, also an issue in residential areas like ours.. I rang the Hörmann manufacturer about replacing the door only with a windowed model one, as all the frame, system etc is in place and they passed me on to the nearest distributor, waiting for them to call me, was supposed to be today, but nothing yet, still, it's a start. There is a sort of clause in the deeds that you can persue artistic and literary persuits on the property, but not, say, have a mechanic's garage or anything with noisey machinery going on, so just having a different model garage door should be ok, a door might look too much like attracting visitors as in a shop.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

any help on this would be really appreciated because i have been allover the place trying to...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, Can any experts give me some advice please. I have a single brick detached garage...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
G
whilst doing the sums for laying my tiles, i made a slight mistake. basically, one line of...
Replies
Views
MW Smith Ceramics
M
H
Hi All, Firstly I'm not a tiler! I've just moved in with my partner and I'm looking to rent out...
Replies
Views
I
Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Is anyone here able to insert a window into a metal garage door?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.