Discuss Is it just me.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
.....or has anyone else noticed an increase in customers posting pics ad looking for advice on poor tile fixing over the last few months?

I'm just wondering where all these poor tradesmen are coming from. Does anyone know? Are they builders, plumbers etc who are just trying to squeeze more money out of a job.

What are peoples' thoughts on this topic please?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I think a lot of customers are just going for the lowest quote John thinking they'll save money....but we know it doesn't work that way:thumbsup:

That may well be the case Doug but it doesn't answer who it is that's actually doing the jobs.

Looking through a lot of posts it appears to me that it's builders who seem to be completing jobs.

I

Ian

I went to look at a job a couple of weeks ago, utility floor, floorboards prepped with 6mm ply. I said I wouldn't tile onto 6mm ply and the classic 'well all the other floors in the house have been done like that and they're ok', line came out, so I asked to look at them and every one (two bathrooms and the kitchen), had hairline cracks appearing in the grout, all laid in the last 18 months. I tried to be constructive with my criticism but, I didn't get the job because my prep suggestions were over the top.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I went to look at a job a couple of weeks ago, utility floor, floorboards prepped with 6mm ply. I said I wouldn't tile onto 6mm ply and the classic 'well all the other floors in the house have been done like that and they're ok', line came out, so I asked to look at them and every one (two bathrooms and the kitchen), had hairline cracks appearing in the grout, all laid in the last 18 months. I tried to be constructive with my criticism but, I didn't get the job because my prep suggestions were over the top.

And they're the ones with cracked grout and potentially lifting tiles very soon! Some people never learn!!!

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Anyone can tile, anyone can plumb, anyone can do electrics and so on, i'm not so sure it's any one trade, i think that it's rife across all trades. Not sure of the reasons, price is one for sure, but also the customer's to blame as well. I go round so many houses to hear the words can't you just quote for the lot like the last guy did????? go figure. I feel it will go full circle and individual trades will slowly just return to there respective trades as more of these problems come out, the guy's doing them will shy away. That's what i'm hoping will happen anyway.

T

Time's Ran Out

It's just you! Ha ha.
There has always been bad tiling but the success of this Forum (IMHO ) just brings it to 1 place and more noticeable.
For me it is the customers fault for not doing their research on the tradesman or asking for references. Either that or they're trying to get a top job for budget price - now that is not to say it should be of lower standard, they are buying cheap tiles expecting a quality finish.

STEVO

TF
stockport
I know a lad i used to work with few yrs ago, a qualified electrician. apparently he is now doing bathroom refits and bits of plumbing stuff! Making a bloody mess of it all as well from what i can gather. Gods knows why he is trying to do that when he could easily stick to thew sparking. rings me/texts me every now and then to see can i do a job, i have to just ignore the call or "sorry im busy"

T

The D

I met a builder a couple of weeks ago who thinks he's done a good job in the bathroom by plying out all the walls and floor before tiling, but he wouldnt use a tanking kit. Also I know of a plumber who admits he doesnt like tiling but has started to do it himself rather than sub out to a pro to get more money out of a job. What can you do?
you can start doing the plumbing :smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

I'ts the " I can do that " crew and they will always be about... the more bad jobs posted on here and google ranks said threads , so they show up on searches and then the ball rolls and others post here of their bad jobs etc etc and so on and on...

The market place is full of muppet tilers ( uses tiler loosely ) and muppet customers.. and quite a few times these 2 muppets deserve each other :).. then other times customers get ripped..

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I'ts the " I can do that " crew and t hey will always be about... the more bad jobs posted on here and google ranks said threads , so they show up on searches and then the ball rolls and others post here of their bad jobs etc etc and so on and on...

The market place is full of muppet tilers ( uses tiler loosely ) and muppet customers.. and quite a few times these 2 muppets deserve each other :).. then other times customer get ripped..
Very well worded.....

Reply to Is it just me.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
1. Images and videos are screwed up, I'm fixing that today. Fingers crossed. 2. Email for the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB