Discuss Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

riviera

My dad is getting his kitchen done up, and as a part of it, the builder doing it is doing the wall and floor tilings. I haven't had much of a chance to check everything the past week or 2 he has been working but this morning I had a closer look and have noticed the following (check attached images)

01 - I have circled the points of concern in red, 2 uneven spots at 1st glance as you enter the kitchen and some sort of white residue left on the tiles from friday (today is sunday) and I fear it may not come out, which would ruin the rather pricey tiles.

02 - there is a manhole cover which is in the kitchen, what would you pros suggest is the right way to tile over this but still allow access?

03 - closer look at the white residue

04 - another uneven spot i found, I have placed a 10p coin and something straight against the higher tile to show how far off level it is

05 - as above, another spot i found

06 - ditto

07, 08 - 2 diff photos of another spot

09 - grouting i found in one place... :S

10 - more grouting issues

11 - wall tiling, looks uneven to me

12 - the upper section, looks uneven once again

13 - grouting

14 - a closer look at 13

If you could, please comment back on the individual points and any suggestions you may have. He is yet to do another small section (where he will be tiling over the old blue tiles which can be seen in the 1st pic). He is still owed some money but he has overshot his estimated time period in which the job was supposed to be done so he maybe making a loss in terms of days he has put in and the price he agreed.

Please help! Thanks in Advance :)

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 03.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 10.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 311
  • 02.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 08.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 14.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 06.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 300
  • 09.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 05.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 12.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 04.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 07.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 11.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 321
G

Gazzer

Just a few points. I would not accept "topping up " the grout. It really needs to be removed and regrouted. If he says he will do this then I would be worried that he will damage the tiles while doing so. I would also watch that he does actually remove it and not just say he has.
The wall Tiling needs to come off all together. I cant see a way around that at all.

I must say though that the way the manhole works full tile is impressive....or lucky!!! I would have thought a better cover should have been used.

R

riviera

That manhole cover has always been like that, before the ceramic tiles that have just been place, it was carpeted tiles. The kitchen and dining area had 2 surfaces (floor board on one side and conrete on another from an extension done to it years ago by the previous owner). He plans to add 4 whole tiles to cover the region that the manhole cover is but they will be placed down as such so access can be gained if needed in the future.

We cant afford to have any wastage (breakage) on the existing tiles he has placed as they came from a specific batch, the newer batch dont have the exact same colouring so stick out like a sore thumb (his estimate of tiles we needed was short of what was needed in reality, so we had to order the tiles again, costing another extra £60 on delivery for a 2nd order of tiles which are slightly lighter due to it being a different batch!).

Just to weigh up the options, what would be a rough guestimate for the price to get a pro tiler in to rectify the floor and wall tiles? As well as completing the very small remaining floor section left? I want to gauge how far the remaining £500 can go for a less stressful completion.

G

Glasnevintiling

looking at those pics especially on picture 12 were there is no tile trim ? is not good enough, grouting on the floor with pinholes too much water used when washing of is your problem with pinholes grouting is not an easy job as most people think it is just give him the chance to fix it but it shouldn't of happened in the first place definitely were there is no tile trim thats not acceptable in my opinion as a tiler

Reply to Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this a good Tiling Job?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.