Discuss Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

R

riviera

Just spoke to him, it looks like my dad is the one who supplied him with the wickes grout - so the builder isn't to blame for that one.

He says the reason for the uneven foor tiles is possibly due to the difference of the floor on both sides of the kitchen (1 half is wooden floor boards and the other half is concrete from an extension carried out years ago). He believes the temperature difference due to the wood ply on the concrete floor being much colder/damper may be a reason as to why the tiles are not level. He says he will be sorting out those tiles that are uneven.

As for the cracks in grouting, he said its expected and due to the grouting not fully sinking in. He says after another layer of grouting, it should be ok.

He says he is yet to put the strip thing on the wall tiles and he will be sorting out the one which was sticking out in the photos. Same with the one where the grout has gone over a white tile. Some of the other tiles sticking out on that side of the wall are due to some pipe work on the original wall so it would never be a 100% straight finish. He seems to acknowledge all of these things and looking to rectify. Will keep you updated and thanks for everyones input.

C

CJ CERAMICS

how is he going to fit the profiles on the window when the tiles are stuck and grouted ? there is no way that going over the grouting again is going to do the job it just wont take and will be washed out, this i know as i once tried to do this when i first started tiling at didnt fill the joints enough. You have my sympathy but it does go to show that using another professionother than a tiler to tile is a bad idea.
chris

S

Spud

i'm not sure if its an artex wall

Since he hasnt quite "finished" the work and I have raised my concerns with him, I guess all I can do is to give him a chance to rectify
there is no way of rectifying this tiling job other than taking all the tiles off and starting again with the correct preparation works,pictures of jobs of this calibre should be placed in all outlets selling tiles with the message" tiles are expensive dont cut corners with the fitting as you will regret it"

E

easyt

I am an amateur. I've tiled a few kitchens - Walls, floors, worktops and 4 bathrooms walls and floors, replaced damaged tiles for friends.and a sitting room floor. The ones I have done for friends I have always refused payment but said that they can buy me a bottle of malt for everyday I have worked ;) . (For later consumption).

If I produced work anywhere as poor as that would be totally embarrassed. I find it hard to believe someone can have so little pride in their work. As for the lipping on floor tiles. That is unbelievable. Last year I laid some 18 3x2 50mm flags on a full 4:1 bed for a disabled friend (Heavy blighters but free :) . Even with those I would not except a slight lip. Compared to those floor tiles should be a doddle to set flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

Just spoke to him, it looks like my dad is the one who supplied him with the wickes grout - so the builder isn't to blame for that one.

He says the reason for the uneven foor tiles is possibly due to the difference of the floor on both sides of the kitchen (1 half is wooden floor boards and the other half is concrete from an extension carried out years ago). He believes the temperature difference due to the wood ply on the concrete floor being much colder/damper may be a reason as to why the tiles are not level. He says he will be sorting out those tiles that are uneven.

As for the cracks in grouting, he said its expected and due to the grouting not fully sinking in. He says after another layer of grouting, it should be ok.

He says he is yet to put the strip thing on the wall tiles and he will be sorting out the one which was sticking out in the photos. Same with the one where the grout has gone over a white tile. Some of the other tiles sticking out on that side of the wall are due to some pipe work on the original wall so it would never be a 100% straight finish. He seems to acknowledge all of these things and looking to rectify. Will keep you updated and thanks for everyones input.
put some pics of the window and plugs

Reply to Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this a good Tiling Job?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.