Discuss Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

This theme is all to familiar, (any one can tile) yes anyone can tile but it takes years of hard work to perfect the art. The public should be warned about the cowboy element in this industry. Tiling when done right is a thing of beauty, I shudder when I see this kind of work.

Having spent my whole life as a professional tiler in every conceivable aspect of the trade, I find these would be wannabe tilers an insult. Tiling is a very highly skilled job imo, so looking at these poor efforts, makes my blood boil.

If people do their research and source a good tiler. They will be very happy with the result, unfortunately there will always be the cowboy who comes along and talks a good job. If I price a job that is not a recommendation I try to instill some confidence in the potential client by saying" I don't want you to be happy with my work" "I want you to be ecstatic" if you are not don't pay me. To date I have never had anyone not pay me. I do my job, nothing more, nothing less. I am a tiler.:thumbsup:

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
I've only been tiling for 3 years but feel comfortable enough to say that the standard of this tiling is shocking, from substrate prep to grouting. It's clear the 'tiler' has no concept of even the basics (setting out, cutting etc). I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trying to rectify it. I feel for the customer and realise they have been placed in a uncomfortable position, but the job needs to be ripped out and started from scratch at the builders expense. There is simply no way this job can be rectified to an acceptable level. Whether the builder is a rouge or simply out of his depth he needs to accept this and move on!

P

Perry

riviera any updates on how the builder is progressing or has he admitted defeat as patching is only going to delay the inevitable poor prep just wont go the distance

i think he knows i hope that it cannot be rectified other than a rip out and start again but my advice was give him a choice to make it better than it was so it looks better over the sort term but i don't think he has much hope of taking him to court and getting his money even if he won the case which i have no doubt he would catch 22 they call it i wouldn't think his father could afford to do it again thats whats so sad about these so called builders not sure if it was a cheap job or didn't know where to go maybe the former ?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pebbs

I missed this and have just looked at the photographs, and comments and follows up. Riveria stop this nonsense with this idiot who thinks he can put it right, its more than bad its terrible. PJC has already been to see it, and im in total agreement with him on this one, if I had a call out to look at this, the whole area would be condemmed. There is basically so much wrong with it that no amount of recification will put this total deplorable attempt at tiling right. Do not and I repeat do not hand over any more money to this 'charlatan'. This thread has saddened me, to see that another so called 'tiler' has taken advantage of an innocent. Let us know what the update is.

Pebbs

R

Richard Edwards

I missed this and have just looked at the photographs, and comments and follows up. Riveria stop this nonsense with this idiot who thinks he can put it right, its more than bad its terrible. PJC has already been to see it, and im in total agreement with him on this one, if I had a call out to look at this, the whole area would be condemmed. There is basically so much wrong with it that no amount of recification will put this total deplorable attempt at tiling right. Do not and I repeat do not hand over any more money to this 'charlatan'. This thread has saddened me, to see that another so called 'tiler' has taken advantage of an innocent. Let us know what the update is.

Pebbs

Spot on Pebbs - Its takes a straight talking girl to say it as it is - Most of the pro tilers here have said the same, inc me in the thread earlier and the fact is - Why muck about patching and potching when all of us and I daresay the builder responsible for the mess, knows it needs lifting and a professional tiler called in. Failure to do this will result in premature failure and you will not be able to look at the work - everyday without regrets.

P

Perfect Tiling

I can't get my head round the fact that someone can do this sort of "tiling" and take money for it. How many people are still tiling onto 6mm ply. Have seen two floors this week that are onto 6mm ply and have failed...original tilers plan to come back and regrout the joints even though the tiles are loose!!! I only tile onto hardibacker where floors are concerned. As for this fellas wall tiling...Stevie Wonder could have set it out and tiled it better....

R

RubiUK

Hi just looked at your pictures and my heart bleeds i dont know why people say they can do something when they clearly cant, ive been tiling for 28 years and that is not the worst ive seen but things are so hard to put right when there at this stage. I think a good tiling could help things along in terms of making things a little better but finding a tiler that would put his name on this will be hard. Good luck

E

easyt

Nice one:lol: but I do really feel for the people who are subjected to these so called " tilers":thumbsdown:
Yes I was being flippant but it really is unfair for a guy to be put in the position of having paid good money for tiles and then being handed a lousy bit of work like that shown. I am an amateur and could honestly do better than that. I think any confidant diy chap could better that work. Some of the work on here is brilliant btw.

Reply to Is this a good Tiling Job? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this a good Tiling Job?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.