Discuss Is this Base good enough for tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

wau5

Happy New year Everyone,

Don't have much experience in tiling , I'm in process of gutting out my old bathroom now, replacing piping and everything else in it in the process therefore making a total mess out of my walls. Also removed some tiles and now the old base under the tiles looks pretty terrible and with lots and lots of holes in old plasterboard from when removing the old tiles.
I'm going to be doing every wall except ceiling in tiles and now I'm not even sure if I can just put on new tiles on my old walls in case they just don't stick or the holes/lumps create a further problems?
at first I thought I was just going to rub down all the lumps/bumps and fill out the most problematic areas and just put tiles over everything...Now I'm not so sure about that :D

I have made some pictures, was wondering if anyone who has some good experience in tiling could tell me is the base good enough for tiles or I would be better off just doing a skim coat of plaster on everything to smooth everything out and create a good base for tiles? Work wise This would set me back about a day to plaster every wall and few extra days until it dries so not really that problematic.

Pics: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - http://imgur.com/a/HvV8y

W

wau5

Where your going to fit the wetroom I would remove the boards and replace with wedi etc, must admit I can't remember when I've seen 2 doors in such a small bathroom.
Yeah it's a super small bathroom.. :(
There's only 1 wall which is made from plasterboard (the one where the wetroom is going to be) I was thinking about replacing it with cementboard alltogether+ seal with one of those tanking kits as I needed to create some inside niches anyway from that material + just to keep everything more stable/rigid/waterproof as I doubt that old knackered plasterboard will do a good job at that.. Unless it would be plastered or so I thought? the rest of the walls are solid so would still need fixing up before tiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wau5

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, there are cheap trays and there are good trays. Same with wet room trays, there are a lot of bad ones out there. There is a lot to go wrong with a wet room hence me suggesting an easier option for a diy project
Yup, you are correct on that Sir :)
I have probably only looked at the cheaper end trays ( those which have been displayed in stores) when I got that impression.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this Base good enough for tiles? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB