Discuss Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AngelaH

Hi
I have just had a new wetroom installed and wanted two inset shelves putting in. The builder used his own tiler and I was not happy with a couple of tiles that were proud and the mitre corners on the inset shelves. The builder told me in his eyes they were acceptable but would get them redone as I was not happy with them. Below are pictures of the redone inset shelves which I am still unhappy with as the corners are still not perfect and the tile edges look chipped. The builder tells me this is "typical tiler standard" and he feels I won't get this any better. I would like to know am I being unreasonable as I think the job is below standard and would like to get another tiler in to fix this. Do you think I can improve on this work?
IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0808.jpg IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0811.jpg

beanz

TF
Berkshire
If it's the actual mitres (on the trims) that you're unhappy with, i'd say you are probably being overly fussy. These plastic trims aren't always exactly 90 degrees, so expecting them to butt up perfectly is a tad unrealistic. The tiles are a bit tatty, but sometimes porcelain chips up. I usually pull the trims slightly proud in this case, so you can hide the chips with grout. ;)

A

AMtek

It isn't the best but far from the worst. I would get the tiler to pull the tiles that are lipping and do them again and I think a bead of silicone over the slightly rough cuts might cure that. The mitres are rough so I would be getting your tiler to look at those, I don't agree with beanz that you are being over critical, they should be done right, if you paid a professional what a pro tiler should be paid then they are unacceptable but if you paid a handyman a handyman's rate then they aren't that bad. Depends if you want to go to the trouble of having it re done or negotiate with the tiler for a discount on the bits your not happy with.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I don't agree with beanz that you are being over critical.

Nobody's asking you to agree or disagree with me!?! We were asked for opinions, and i gave mine. :thumbsup:

As has been said above, i've seen better, and i've seen a whole lot worse! I'm assuming you've (OP) talked to the tiler, and he's refused to rectify it at his expense? Have you paid him yet?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Nobody's asking you to agree or disagree with me!?! We were asked for opinions, and i gave mine. :thumbsup:

As has been said above, i've seen better, and i've seen a whole lot worse! I'm assuming you've (OP) talked to the tiler, and he's refused to rectify it at his expense? Have you paid him yet?

They've been re-done by him once, I suppose it could be third time lucky!

Reply to Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB