Discuss Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

True Tiling

Hi Angela,

It looks like typical builders standard I'm afraid. It looks like a wet-cutter has been used on the tiles in the insets, when a manual cutter should have been used for a much cleaner cut. What worries me most is that from the photos, it appears that grout has been used to fill the corners of your shower area (and it looks tight). I would ask him back. He should have boarded this area using cement backer board and waterproof adhesive also on all wet areas (or tank it completely). No plywood should be used.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Hi Angela,

It looks like typical builders standard I'm afraid. It looks like a wet-cutter has been used on the tiles in the insets, when a manual cutter should have been used for a much cleaner cut. What worries me most is that from the photos, it appears that grout has been used to fill the corners of your shower area (and it looks tight). I would ask him back. He should have boarded this area using cement backer board and waterproof adhesive also on all wet areas (or tank it completely). No plywood should be used.

How would you go about cutting out a 90 degree corner with a manual cutter exactly!?! And as stated in an earlier post, some porcelain will even chip with a manual cutter.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
How would you go about cutting out a 90 degree corner with a manual cutter exactly!?! And as stated in an earlier post, some porcelain will even chip with a manual cutter.

scribe the 2 lines of the 90 degree, wet cut from the corner of the tile to the inside corner of the 90 degree and snap off the 2 lines you 1st scribed, that should give you a clean 90 degree cut...:thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
scribe the 2 lines of the 90 degree, wet cut from the corner of the tile to the inside corner of the 90 degree and snap off the 2 lines you 1st scribed, that should give you a clean 90 degree cut...

Like i already said, some Porcelain tiles will chip with a manual tile cutter. I'm aware of the technique of scribing, then wet cutting. True gave the impression that a wet cutter shouldn't have been used.. :thumbsup:

A

AngelaH

Have you paid for all the work yet?
It's part of a big extension so I have paid the stage payments, there is no argument over payment it is just that the builder tells me in his eyes it is acceptable and I will be lucky if I could get anyone out who would fix another tilers work and improve on the quality already done. He also feels he should not have to pay me for another tiler to come out and fix this as in his eyes he has delivered an acceptable job. he does not feel he should ask the tiler to fix it for a third time as sees nothing to fix.
They are still building the extension and we are still amicable, I was charged extra for the recess as was told it was tricky tiling, therefore I expected a decent finish which the builder says he has given and I am disappointed with :(
So if it can be improved on and reading the comments it can, I need to find a decent tiler who is prepared to come out and supply a nice neat finish.

C

charlie1

It's part of a big extension so I have paid the stage payments, there is no argument over payment it is just that the builder tells me in his eyes it is acceptable and I will be lucky if I could get anyone out who would fix another tilers work and improve on the quality already done. He also feels he should not have to pay me for another tiler to come out and fix this as in his eyes he has delivered an acceptable job. he does not feel he should ask the tiler to fix it for a third time as sees nothing to fix.
They are still building the extension and we are still amicable, I was charged extra for the recess as was told it was tricky tiling, therefore I expected a decent finish which the builder says he has given and I am disappointed with :(
So if it can be improved on and reading the comments it can, I need to find a decent tiler who is prepared to come out and supply a nice neat finish.

hi angela, yes as others have said, it can be improved but then again, so can everything, without walking in to your bathroom and inspecting area its very hard to tell, but in guessing its a fair job.

D

DHTiling

Just another take on this :

What is wrote on a forum and what other tilers say should and can be done , doesn't say it can.. none of use know how the rest of the job looks and some tiles are a right pig for glaze splintering when scribing or machine cutting.. but.. yes there are ways of doing cuts on these tiles as to help them look better on exposed edges.. but tiles need to be seen at face value.

Just thought i would add this before you go employing someone to rectify it.. :)

beanz

TF
Berkshire

It takes more time, so would be an extra cost. I'm not sure i'd call it tricky, but it is time consuming.

Your tiler has obviously tiled this to the best of his ability, at lease i'd hope that's the case, seeing as he's done it twice! Maybe he's limited by his tools? I know my current manual cutter struggles with Porcelain tiles, and my new wet cutter (ND180BL), even with a brand new porcelain blade, doesn't cut any cleaner than that. The fact that you're not happy with the job has probably devestated your tiler, i know i'd be gutted...

Maybe you should get another tiler in, just to take a proper look, and see if they think they can improve on it. I don't honestly think you'll get the builder to pay for it though, if he thinks it's an acceptable job. Difficult situation for everyone involved by the sound of it. Maybe if the quote isn't too ridiculous, the builder will wear it, just to keep you happy. Nothing worse than ending a job on a sour note.

C

charlie1

here is a slightly better standard of a ducket thingy, i used the double square edge trim for this, looks a bit better with that trim imo IMAG0218.jpg

Reply to Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB