Discuss Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

I have tiled all over london for 20 yrs in all manner of places and this would be acceptable to 95% of all clients and contractors. Obviousley you'd like to get it as neat as possible but I suspect the tiler had to use a blade that was tough enough to get through the porcelain, I've found they tend to chip it more than a thinner blade....used slowly. I'm personally not a fan of recessed shelves like that with tile trim....they rarely look hollywood stylee, which I assume is what you were after.

Come again Owen? are you saying that this is the standard for 95% of tilers and that is what the industry should say is 'acceptable'?

Surely the customer can't be held responsible because the tiler didn't have a good enough blade?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for a builder to cover all aspect of the job it's not bad. it might be the blade on the wet wheel or it might be cheap tiles. I think your being over fussy. if you picked your own tiler and seen more of his work you would have greater comeback. but to ask a builder to complete the whole bathroom it isn't bad. if i was the builder i wouldn't get rid of the tiler based on this evidence. Sorry

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

How anyone can try to justify that type of work, even from three pics is beyond me. I don't like to judge people not knowing the problems they had to overcome, but lets be honest that cutting is pants. Another chancer taking work from real tilers imo, as Rob says why should the customer suffer because the "tiler" or whatever he calls himself does not have the correct equipment to do a professional job. Another reason to regulate this industry, sorry Owen but if you have been tiling for 20yrs and think this is acceptable, then it is time for us all to hang our trowels up.:mad2:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I think for a builder to cover all aspect of the job it's not bad. it might be the blade on the wet wheel or it might be cheap tiles. I think your being over fussy. if you picked your own tiler and seen more of his work you would have greater comeback. but to ask a builder to complete the whole bathroom it isn't bad. if i was the builder i wouldn't get rid of the tiler based on this evidence. Sorry

Sorry mate but imo there are a million ways a job can be wrong, there is only one way it can be right, that is when it is right. This work is clearly not right so why is anyone trying to make excuses for poor work?:incazzato:

M

m3fitter

Looks like a brittle full bodied porcelain ? If so, even a TX scribe cutter doesn't like them, hmm maybe the wet cutter was ran dry, with just the blade, too much friction, but you'd expect the tiler to just wet cut one edge and snap the other, they seem to be all wet cut, maybe he scribed and wet cut, maybe he should have used a carbrundon stone to smooth off edges.. with a brittle porcelain tile, just more time and care is required to achieve a decent finish, frustrating but part of the job to achieve a good end result and attention to detail.. so to answer, yes with time & care the project could look better definitely, as with everything.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Sorry mate but imo there are a million ways a job can be wrong, there is only one way it can be right, that is when it is right. This work is clearly not right so why is anyone trying to make excuses for poor work?:incazzato:

Like my old man says "If it's not 100% right then it's wrong"

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB