Discuss Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AngelaH

We got a whole price for the extension including the extended bathroom. When we came to choose the tiles in the showroom I had saw this type of recess and asked the builder if he could do it, he said yes but it would be £150 extra as involved more time/labour as was tricky, we agreed as wanted the recess. The rest of the bathroom as I said in the beginning is fine, a couple of slightly proud tiles here and there but nothing shouting out at you so that to us is acceptable. The tiler is a really nice guy and already said when he finished it the first time, if we were not happy with anything to let him know and he would fix it. So as we were not happy with the recess and a couple of other small snagging bits the builder fetched him back, the small snagging bits are now fine but the recess to us is still annoying especially as it is right where the shower is and you look at it every you shower. I think the best thing is for me to find another tiler, explain on the phone the problem and if I can get a professional tiler with pride in his work to come out to get it done myself. No point in spoiling what is a stunning bathroom for a small part that we are not happy with if it can be fixed.
Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

T

taffy

I'll be blunt (I'm Welsh) I would sell my tools if my fitting was ever this bad. The chips... the gap! even my old helper was better than that and he's a mechanic lol
2mm on tiles and 1mm round trims is what you get off me and at 1mm it has to be spot on, if it crept to 2mm on the other end it gets done again.

I would get him out to replace again and if still not done correctly then get someone out to replace it and send him the bill, it's only fair as you have given him 2 chances to rectify the problem.

I also agree with the post re. scoring, if it was pre-scored before getting to the wet saw then this would avoid the chips.

T

Time's Ran Out

The amount you paid extra shouldn't be a factor in whether the job is done properly or not, and as the tiler wouldn't have received no more than £20 for this work, then it's the builder who is pulling a fast one!
This is an issue between you and your builder as the contractor and it's his responsibility to arrange another tiler for you to have it corrected if that's the route you want to take.
It may be time for some on the forum who have posted, and could make it a better job, and live close to offer assistance.
Hope you get it resolved.

C

Colour Republic

The amount you paid extra shouldn't be a factor in whether the job is done properly or not, and as the tiler wouldn't have received no more than £20 for this work, then it's the builder who is pulling a fast one!

I think that'sn un-fair John. You have no idea what the builder had to do to get those recesses in there and this general view that builders go out to rip customers and tilers off all the time does grate on me. I certainly didn't screw you on price when you came and did those bathrooms for me, in fact you had free rein to charge what you wanted and the tiny mark up I made didn't even cover my time to sort it all out but I was happy to do so just to make the customer happy as you know first hand.

T

Time's Ran Out

Morning Rob!
Not sure how work I completed in Brighton direct to your customer has any relevance to this thread, unless you are suggesting the price you advertised, and which I charged, was excessive for the stonework involved? That particular job had a reccess in the downstairs Travertine shower room at no extra cost and was formed and tiled with rounded edges by myself.
If your point is 'builders profits' then perhaps another thread should be started to discuss it.
John.

C

Colour Republic

No I don't think the stone work you did in Brighton was excessive, i thought it was a good rate for skilled work. It's the fact people in this thread (and countless other threads) suggest tilers are always getting screwed by builders to do the cheapest job possible, that the £150 was excessive and that the tiler wouldn't have got any extra for it saying it went straight in the builders pocket, which is un-fair. Firstly because nobody knows what went it to those recesses, it could have cost virtually nothing as part of the build or it could have been very tricky with alterations and repairs needed in both the wetroom and the room on the other side. Nobody knows.

I'm not having a go at you personally I'm just tired of hearing how builders are so bad and people passing judgement from a set of 3 photos. Tilers are always saying on here how builders don't appreciate the work involved and I think the same is true the other way round. Either that or people are just use to working for crap builders.

Is that acceptable tiling around the recess? Yes it is if it meets the customers expectations and it is reflected in a cheap price, but the customer was charged extra for those works and it doesn't sound like the customer was shopping on price but on quality and so no it isn't acceptable and should be redone.

T

Time's Ran Out

You are no doubt IMHO, and with 1st hand experience, one of the exceptional craftsmen who does provide the desired results for your clients and I was more than happy to work for your customer last year.
I also acknowledge that you have the right to defend your profession as I have tilers over the last few years on this Tilers Forum and totally agree that to make a statement from 3 photos is not appropriate.
However the views of tilers on this tilers forum about the standard of work required, on the substrates provided, using the quality of materials purchased is aired in this medium as it would be down the pub and if that is about builders/plumbers/other trades then surely that's what the forum is about!

I don't however see the point of going off the OP topic to defend Builders as in this case he was paid to complete a project and he sub contracted the work which still makes him responsible, however much it cost , to have the work completed to the clients satisfaction.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
someones just put some tiling up on here.
angela,if you are not happy with your job,you are quite right to get it re done,now to me,personally its not too bad with the materials which have been used(trims,cheap and flimsy)in fact i think they are the same as the ones in this picture,so just to show you really rough,have a ganda at this :yikes: 48978d1359397250t-help-not-sure-if-tiling-acceptable-dsc_4251.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

someones just put some tiling up on here.
angela,if you are not happy with your job,you are quite right to get it re done,now to me,personally its not too bad with the materials which have been used(trims,cheap and flimsy)in fact i think they are the same as the ones in this picture,so just to show you really rough,have a ganda at this :yikes: 48978d1359397250t-help-not-sure-if-tiling-acceptable-dsc_4251.jpg

Where you from Angela?
IM sure one off the tilers on here slagging off the work must stay near you,as that is the why you came on here,looking for someone to rectify it.
The recess is not 100% but far from the worst you will get.
IF I'm being honest,if I came to have a look at it I'd be thinking I could better that but I'd be worried you are an overly fussy customer and never gonna be happy.
And if I'm being honest a lot off tilers will feel like this but wont admit it on here.
TIling can be a bitchy trade,which iv noticed since joining this forum.
Some people might take offence to this but I'm just being honest.
i hope you get it sorted.

C

charlie1

Where you from Angela?
IM sure one off the tilers on here slagging off the work must stay near you,as that is the why you came on here,looking for someone to rectify it.
The recess is not 100% but far from the worst you will get.
IF I'm being honest,if I came to have a look at it I'd be thinking I could better that but I'd be worried you are an overly fussy customer and never gonna be happy.
And if I'm being honest a lot off tilers will feel like this but wont admit it on here.
TIling can be a bitchy trade,which iv noticed since joining this forum.
Some people might take offence to this but I'm just being honest.
i hope you get it sorted.

well said tiler boy, yes. There are a lot of snipers in the trenches of the forum i must admit at times!! And also agree, tiling can be a very bitchy trade, i can be guilty of this myself then kick myself afterwards, nothing is ever perfect in life... Ever!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Definitely looks like it's done with a poor quality blade and the mitres look like they've been done by somone with no pride in their work. Also is that a lip that runs between the 2 bottom corners?

I spotted that lip.

Edges are tatty agreed, not sure why they weren't tucked in behind the box trim though. Guys are right, blade could be worn, but i reacon they were dry cut. Scribbing the cut first and then cutting helps prevent such ugly chips on the glaze.

It's definately not the worse, but easily preventable.

O

owen

I have tiled all over london for 20 yrs in all manner of places and this would be acceptable to 95% of all clients and contractors. Obviousley you'd like to get it as neat as possible but I suspect the tiler had to use a blade that was tough enough to get through the porcelain, I've found they tend to chip it more than a thinner blade....used slowly. I'm personally not a fan of recessed shelves like that with tile trim....they rarely look hollywood stylee, which I assume is what you were after.

Reply to Is this normal tiling standard? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB