Discuss is ufh enough to heat a small bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

luketoot

hi everyone complete and utter newbie to the forum and to ufh and am redoing my bathroom - my first major renovation.

Its a small but long and tall bathroom (in a tenement flat in Glasgow). we are trying to make it as big as possible so would be great to loose the radiators and avoid a heated towel rail so as to increase the space.

we are tiling the floor on top of 12mm ply. floor space is under 2m square.

will electric underfloor heating be enough to actually heat the room? remember this is Scotland :smilewinkgrin: or is it just going to make the tiles nice and warm.

last question: will we need to insulate on top of the ply or is that enough insulation?

many many thanks
luke

G

Gazzer

I believe in a perfect world then maybe you get what you desire.
More factors would need to be taken into consideration. How high the room is would make a difference. I mean how high is it off the ground and how high the ceiling is?. How much insulation is there already in the room? How many walls are outside walls? What condition are the windows ? Which way does the bathroom face?
In my bathroom i would feel i woould stand a better than most chance of obtaining sole heat from UFH as the floor area is little over 2m2, no windows, the bathroom is situated in the middle of the house so no outside walls and it has a average height ceiling with good insulation. More importantly i think is what you would call comfortable temp. I rarely have the heating on but i know some of my clients like it hot. I recently tiled a kitchen floor with UFH but she still has the radiators on full....i cant breathe when in the house.
All that said as Diamond says, Insulation is the start but not just the floor. Check the windows for heat loss, Any chance that the ceiling could be lowered as that would help too.
Firstly though i would talk to Uheat and ask their advice.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to is ufh enough to heat a small bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
P
Dear Experts! Here's a homeowner looking for advice about a home renovation project. It's a...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
M
Hi. We are tiling a ground floor kitchen that is half suspended floor (100x50 joists on 300...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
http://www.*************************.com/water-underfloor-heating-152-w.asp Supplying Water...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB