Discuss Issues with quality of tiling, help needed !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sully

Hello t/blue........sorry to hear of your dilemma.......could you post us some pics.....so we can see the issues you have mentioned with the floor.....

That's the most sensible reply on this thread (IMO). It does sound like something is not quite right here what with the half grouting method but surely one should view the work before slating the guy? I'm prettu confident that somethibg ain't right but wouldn't snag anyones work witghout seeing it. As for speed - 1 day or 4 days don't matter if a price has been agreed and the job is delivered professionally :thumbsup:

C

craig t

Sometimes jobs can just take longer than anticipated , although we are proffesional we are not robots on a production line! If the tiles have a bow in the middle of them then you should have been advised that lippage will happen and they should have been layed normally! With a tile 600x300mm even the slightest discrepancy in the floor will create a problem for a tiler! It does sound strange however that no cuts have been attempted and some of the floor is grouted!

J

JIMBOB187

This really, really annoys me as this can only be detremental to Topps reputation, as a "Topps approved fitter" I have to ensure my work is of outstanding quality or I would not be part of the scheme any longer, I can only assume that this scheme has not rolled out to your Topps store yet and I would definetly inform the store of this issue for their sake.

I wouldn't read too much into a tradesman not being in the Yellow Pages and the time taken is different for every tiler, it is the quality of the finished project that is of primary concern, can't wait to see some pics.

T

true-blue

Well after a lot of waffle, the guy has agreed that a large area of the floor, the 'staircase' part is unacceptable.

Also said that he should have pointed out the possibility of problems with brickbond before starting and appologised for not doing so.

Said that I was nit-picking with some area's and I agreed based on the brickbond issue, but said that I would have known to expect this if he'd warned me in advance.

Has said that the flexible grout has sunk too much in places and needs a second layer?

I wasn't aggressive in anyway but he said he would prefer not to finish the job, so will come back tomorrow to lift the very badly affected tiles and clean them up then leave them ready for whoever I get to finish the job.

He also said that he 'wasn't prepared to take any money' for the work but would be grateful if I didn't share my experience with topps as this wasn't typical of his work.

It's a shame really because the guy seems like a nice enough bloke, but there you go!

T

true-blue

Sometimes jobs can just take longer than anticipated , although we are proffesional we are not robots on a production line! If the tiles have a bow in the middle of them then you should have been advised that lippage will happen and they should have been layed normally! With a tile 600x300mm even the slightest discrepancy in the floor will create a problem for a tiler! It does sound strange however that no cuts have been attempted and some of the floor is grouted!

Hi Craig, I'm not attacking tilers, and I'm sure the majority of you are professional :thumbsup: , I was just seeking advice as all did not seem well.

I can take some photo's, but it seems a little pointless as the problem has been acknowledged now and a mutually agreable soloution agreed. If anyone really wants to see a couple of pic's I'll take a couple though.

Many thanks for all the comments.

Reply to Issues with quality of tiling, help needed !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Issues with quality of tiling, help needed !!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.