Discuss job on books in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
i got offered a full time job yesterday with a local tiling company ,
this is the package they offered me

a new toyota haice van
fuel card
all lodge paid when away
£15 a day towards living when away
a salary of £20,000
4 weeks paid holidays

what do you think, personally i would like a bonus incentive . of say £1 m2 at least
would like your thoughts

they will review the wage after 4 months

B

Bubblecraft

That's an ok deal if targets are achievable & if you are happy to work for someone else. You need to see what works out better for you. Is this a better deal than your Net Profit over the past 3 years or would you find it a better way of life being able to finish at a set time, being able to switch off, know when your getting paid, who's paying you & how your being paid.

There's no money in the world that would make me work for someone else no matter how quiet I got. Being self employed drives me.

Last edited by a moderator:

nybor62

TF
rotherham
there are no targets , its a 43 hr week, saying that they do quite a bit of shop fitting work , and as you all know , that usually means 12 hr shifts, so what they say is , if you work over your hrs you will get days of in lieu.
the salary is before tax, and i never thought about extra tax for having a van
i will ring my accountant about that,
they will also get me an apprentice to train up

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
imo a skilled tiler like yourself is worth more than that, having said that you could get your foot in the door and that may open up a whole new world of opportunities, who knows, in a years time you could be running the place on 40 k a year, if you got nowt to loose then it may be worth ago, better than thinking 'what if' in six months time..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
First thing Rob, you need to find out how much work they have got on. If it's only a couple of months but they're short of staff for the contracts they have, watch out. You may not be there for too long.

With the van I'm pretty sure that if it is only used for work then you don't pay tax i.e. you pick it up first thing on a morning and drop it off at night, using your own vehicle to and from your place of work. Your accountant should be able to tell you.

I was getting £15 a night food allowance 27 years ago and £25 when I was abroad, but you should be ok with that.

Not sure if I like the time off in lieu, that don't pay the bills, but if that's their policy, then it's something you'd have to go with.

Andy is right, when you break it down, £83 a day before tax, isn't going to make you a rich man, but if you're slow on work yourself then £83 looks a better bet than £0.

Regarding taking an apprentice on to train up, then you should be compensated for this, so I would negotiate on that matter. You are using your skills and passing them on and that is good value to the company in itself.

Again like Andy says, it could open doors for you, and with your knees, you might be stood up telling people what to do in a few months.

If you take it, then I would be looking at how they run the business as well as the staff they employ, you may be able to make improvements and who knows where that could lead to.

Either way, good luck Rob. Never regret the things you do, only the things you don't do! :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 9966

You'll have to pay company car tax on the van if you have it overnight and at weekends, but most job need vehicles like this (my neighbour works for British Gas) only incur a minimal amount of tax. I think it used to be about £50 a month but your accountant will know a more accurate figure. So out of your gross earnings you'll have to pay income tax, national insurance contributions, co car tax and depending on the size of the organisation, you are likely to be auto-enrolled into a company pension that you will have to request to opt out of if you don't want to do it.

B

bugs183

Hey Nybor!
I've just shown my old man your post, he's been tiling for 50 odd years and i've been 20+, and we both came to the same opinions really...

You really need to know how much you need to live on a week, do you have a family to support, mortgage etc? It's not mega money so if you need a good chunk to survive then maybe your not going to earn enough. If you were single and not up to your eyeballs in debt etc then you could get by. (these are only examples as i know nothing about your personal situation.

To be driving about in a new van with a fuel card already saves you the cost of buying and running a vehicle, and filling it up can knock a huge hole out of a weeks finances.

As Sir says paid holidays!!! That doesn't happen if you're self employed, and that too is an advantage.
I'm sure if you want too there will be oppertunities as the lads say to climb the ladder, plus if you want i'm sure there will be overtime, or if you're super keen the chance to keep some of your own jobs going at the weekend.
You'll have someone else handling all the money and job quoting, plus weekends off, sometimes being self employed if you get a weekend off, you can actually feel guilty as you are not a work and your work mind is telling you you should be working!! I tell that to my employed mates and NONE of them understand that, any of the guys here will understand that one!!
But i dunno if your self employed or not and that does give you freedom, and as the guys say, you set your wage and you earn all of it.

So it down to you, but it's a great offer considering the climate all the same..
Good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

nybor62

TF
rotherham
latest update , ive jacked
nearly lasted a week lol, sent me on social housing in northampton , over 200 miles a day , leaving house at 6 am getting back in at 6pm
tiled 3 kitchens yesterday , in the most minging houses i have ever been in , 1 tennant drinking carlsberg super strength and smoking and it was'nt **** either
so i rang them and told them this aint for me
im daft not stupid

C

Colour Republic

12 hours a day for 20k a year!!!! Sounds just like being self employed actually :lol:

you have to enjoy what you do and tiling **** holes isn't it, when I first started out I did a lot of work for tight arse slum landlords, very depressing, didnt get paid a lot, working round dirty houses and what effort you did put in was trashed within weeks of you leaving. Not for me.

its nice to have been offered a job but for 20k there are plenty of other jobs you can do where you don't have to supply your own tools, you don't have to travel 200 miles and you really can start at 9 and switch off at 5 without any hint of guilt.

Reply to job on books in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We are currently getting our whole house refurbished. The standard of the work as been very high...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all, First time here, and I am after a little bit of advice and some second opinions. We...
Replies
Views
R
First post on this forum and unfortunately its not under good circumstances. We have built...
Replies
Views
Reggiethethird
R
    • Useful
hi guys, I would like to find out what's your opinion on wetroom installation. Do you think...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB