Discuss just been over the shop... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

and they are tiling half of the floor as it was originally lower than the other half... they were grouting up and no lie the grout was dripping off the float like water. and I was watching the one guy he was not even on his knees he was sliding the grout float over the joints as soft a shizzle! wish I could of taken a pic lol

Probably not a tiler, just someone who thinks he is !

M

Mr Tiler

and also i know the comments have suggested that i need to profile the grout joints better and it has been noted for next time :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

I have used the slurry and semmy dry method I haven't don it for a few years but it was a great way of grouting IMO.

ok deano i didn't realise it was ok to do this. i thought a mix too wet would cause problems in the future

S

steve187

in the old quarry tile days, when a semi dry screed was used grouting was done using sand and cement, you could either wet grout and dust over with neat cement and then rub with rags to get it all off, or use saw dust to rub off no water was used, hard work, the joints were half inch 12.5mm to the metric boys.

another way if a wet screed was used was to dry grout, the damp from the wet screed would harden the grout

M

Mr Tiler

in the old quarry tile days, when a semi dry screed was used grouting was done using sand and cement, you could either wet grout and dust over with neat cement and then rub with rags to get it all off, or use saw dust to rub off no water was used, hard work, the joints were half inch 12.5mm to the metric boys.

another way if a wet screed was used was to dry grout, the damp from the wet screed would harden the grout
good piece of old school knowledge that mate.. cheers

S

stephenoneill

ive used this method many times ;on large floors mainly ; very fast but also leaves a perfect joint level with the tile excellent for outdoors were rainfall is an issue ;mix grout to semi liquid state :leave for 5 MINUTES THEN APPLY A COAT OF DRY GROUT FROM THE BAG THROW OVER THE TILES AND KEY IN WITH A FLOOR SQUEEGEE .UNTIL THE TILE IS COMPLETLEY CLEAR AND DRY THEN SPONGE OF . ABSOLOUTLEY NO NEED TO GO DOWN ON YOUR KNEESAT ALL .AND AS IVE STATED THE FINISH IS
EXCELLENT; got slated on here before for mentioning this method;but iv been using this method for many years now and never had anything but compliments from the architects or customers; maybe ill post a video showing exactly how its done ;believe me it will save your back alot of problems;

T

The D

The way we did it is mix a 3 and 1 sand and cement semmy dry mix. Then take some of the semmy dry mix and make a wet slurry. Apply the slurry to the tile joint using a broom or a float until all the joints are (flooded we always caled it the semmy dry method but what is in a name) then sprinkle the rest of the semmy dry mix over the joints leave to firm up in the joint and then buff up with a rag leaving the joint full flat and even. If the tile is porous you may need to buff over with a mix of sawdust and linseed oil.

Reply to just been over the shop... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB