Discuss just went to the job centre!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

with Tom my lad to see if there was any funding for young peeps to go on training courses
:yikes: i was shocked the government has taken away 90% of funding!! ,no hope for lads/lasses wanting to be in any of the building trades, he said there are no jobs for them to go in-to!! the government say we have to many in these trades now!!:yikes::yikes::yikes: where are we going with this attitude there is still work out there and jobs but there wont be with this attitude, he said come next year the job centre might not be there :yikes: very shocked gooner :thumbsdown:

D

Deleted member 9966

who said the job centre might not be there?
and who said there was already too many trades?

I have to agree, there is work out there. It's all National Minimum Wage jobs in customer services, retail, telephony, data input and so on. But we could always go back to the way it was before New Labour came to power if everybody wants?

The jobs are there, people are just going to have to find ways of skilling themselves to make themselves marketable in a highly competitive jobs market.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Yeah and I think this'll be the case for some time. I spent a couple of hours with a 20 year old plumber the other day making sure his CV and cover letter was as perfect as I could get them. And I gave him loads of advice in regards to what to change for each individual application so that his skills matched what the employer required for the candidate. That's something I always used to do with my own CV's and it paid off big time over and above sending a generic one with all applications that didn't always suit the requirements for the job.

He ended up applying for a few different things while he's waiting back on loads of plumbers he's send his CV to, so I helped him change the CV to suit things like customer service and whatnot as he'd done a bit of it but not really said it in his CV.

M

mikethetile

who said the job centre might not be there?
and who said there was already too many trades?

I have to agree, there is work out there. It's all National Minimum Wage jobs in customer services, retail, telephony, data input and so on. But we could always go back to the way it was before New Labour came to power if everybody wants?

The jobs are there, people are just going to have to find ways of skilling themselves to make themselves marketable in a highly competitive jobs market.
please get informed before making these statements

gooners not off the mark and theres worse to come, at least the last government made an attempt to train youngsters and give them self respect, thiss government has pulled the plug on all training , so thats the end of that, they are telling youngsters to find voulantary work to gain work experiance as theres no money

how do I know this

like Dave I took my daughter down for an interview and like Dave I found out that the system may change and job centres will be closed down

D

Deleted member 9966

please get informed before making these statements

gooners not off the mark and theres worse to come, at least the last government made an attempt to train youngsters and give them self respect, thiss government has pulled the plug on all training , so thats the end of that, they are telling youngsters to find voulantary work to gain work experiance as theres no money

how do I know this

like Dave I took my daughter down for an interview and like Dave I found out that the system may change and job centres will be closed down

and which part of my statement is ill informed Mike?

Do I not work in the job industry? Do I not search the jobcentre website regularly to see what jobs are out there currently? Do I not speak with recruitment agencies and look at internet job boards to see what industries are big business at the moment?

So, how am I not informed? I thought this was a place to air my opinions. In my opinion, there is work out there. If there's no training, well then, there's no training or funding available for training. I've never relied on the government for any kind of state supported training and education beyond the age of 18.

Funding for upskilling and re-training was a New Labour initiative, and I am not knocking it. I am merely saying that if the money is not there, then it's not there. Adults and youngsters alike will have to find other ways to re-train.

M

mikethetile

Are they saying they're closing as they can't get people work or something? As in it's not working well due to jobs not being filled? Or don't the guys in the jobcentres know more than what they've been told sort of thing?

cost cutting , staff have been told that they may have to apply for other jobs within the benefits system as a lot of job centres will close

D

Deleted member 9966

people that go and ask for training (youngsters ) dont have the money/means to fund training though liz, it shoild come from the industries that will gain from them being trained-up, and a lot if not all are on there knees!! so how would you propose that a youngster finds other ways to train in there chosen path??

I never said I was a miracle worker Dave. I'm merely stating that if there's no funding then people have to be more imaginative about how they get trained. I don't have all the answers and if I did, I would be Prime Minister and not the ConDems.

I got my training for HR and personnel via my employer. I was lucky to fall into a job that offered training to upskill me. After spending 3 years at university, I came out into the job market with no marketable skills. I'd been studying Economics for 3 years, not Accounting or Law. I had nothing to offer new employers so all I could do was settle for a low paid job and work my way up to where I am today. University proved useless for me until recent years.

As for industries being on their knees, yes, some are. But I work in the Chemicals industry and it's growing and even booming in some areas, despite the fact that we don't have enough youngsters coming in the industry in jobs like Chemical Engineering, Research and Developmental Chemistry, Production Operatives as well as Middle management jobs.

M

mikethetile

and which part of my statement is ill informed Mike?

Do I not work in the job industry? Do I not search the jobcentre website regularly to see what jobs are out there currently? Do I not speak with recruitment agencies and look at internet job boards to see what industries are big business at the moment?

So, how am I not informed? I thought this was a place to air my opinions. In my opinion, there is work out there. If there's no training, well then, there's no training or funding available for training. I've never relied on the government for any kind of state supported training and education beyond the age of 18.

Funding for upskilling and re-training was a New Labour initiative, and I am not knocking it. I am merely saying that if the money is not there, then it's not there. Adults and youngsters alike will have to find other ways to re-train.

all of it

Reply to just went to the job centre!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
We’re currently having our bathrooms fully redone including stripping back, boarding, tiling...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
just went to the job centre!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.