Discuss kate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dgrflooring

could someone tell me where i stand did a large bathroom with 300x600 large format porcelain tiles on brick - effect at customers request !just 2 rows in to the job it was noticeable that the tiles had a bow effect and so lipping was an issue .pointed this out to customer who told me to carry on ! when the first full wall was nearly complete i asked them again to check that they wanted me to carry on ,they again said yes i gave them several chances to stop the work , chance layout so bow would not look so obvious ,or even take the tiles back and change them ! all of which were declined .Now they are not happy several months later and are threatening court action surely the haven't got a case ?

S

Scott

Most of the large format tiles i have fitted brick bond had had a slight bow which is detrimental to the finished effect.
I have to disagree about most professional refusing to lay them. Would largely depends on the the degree of bow. You can only inform the customer of the problems with tiles whether that be bowed, out of square, difference in size or poor finish. Its then for the customer to decide whether to proceed or not. However i would get something in writing and pics of the problems before laid to ensure you are covered. Lets face it, it can look great unitl its grouted and then be a total car crash.

This pic is one on the latest i have had to contend with, i informed the customer of the problem and the supplier. They decided to proceed with brickbond on the floor against my better judgement and it actually turned out ok.

Attachments

• DSC02277 (900x1200).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 96
G

Gall.B

As above wouldnt worry to much about it, its a manafacturing issue anyway, as for no pro wouldnt carry on a pro does what the customer instructs but offers advice and his opinion sure.

That being said I always lay them flat & check for bows before i start anyway and recomend normal bond.

Was it a labour only job?

Had one of those punters a couple of years ago asked her where she wanted the border did the full bathroom that day just had 2 go back 2 grout bearing in mind she had been coming up and down with coffee etc commenting how lovely it looked. next day she says youve put the border at the wrong hieght....! aaaaaaaaghhhhhhh

Somerset
Legal matters are best left to solicitors (as per GirlRacerRed's comments) but sometimes it is better to try and resolve these situations without recourse to court action - which will be very expensive for at least one of you. So here is some good advice:
- Document everything. As a matter of course photographs of your work should always be taken. If you have not committed anything to paper, sit down and write it all down in your work diary. A work diary can be excellent protection for tradesmen caught up in legal disputes - courts will give credence to a diary kept in the course of business which may document customer issues as they happen - e.g. found tiles bowed, pointed out to customer who told me to go ahead anyway.
- Always respond positively to customer complaints. Keep a customer complaint file, and record the customers complaint. Document the action you have taken, and set a plan to respond to the complaint. Make a visit to the customer or even arrange for an independant tiler to visit and assess the work. You should always try and reach an informal resolution if possible. If either of you go to a solicitor at this stage in the dispute the solicitor will advice you to aattempt to resolve the complaint first. Again, make sure you document and photograph everything.
- Ultimately you and the customer may not reach an amicable resolution. That will be the time when the matter may become the subject of a court hearing.
- Remember that there are places for both you and the customer to keep help and advice - Citizen Advice Bureau and Trading Standards are 2 bodies that can give further help and advice to both of you.
- Finally it may be worth checking your Public Liability Insurance policy. This may cover you for any costs arising from an allegation like this - but some policies do not include this cover.

I get this regularly with large format porcelain. I always lay the tiles flat and show the customer if they bow and tell them how it is likely to look on the wall. Whether I supply or not I take pics and draft a letter to the client confirming my reservations is they decide to go ahead with brick bond. It covers all aspects so there is no worries of comeback later.

As for them coming back 7 months later, I believe the period has to be classed as reasonable. 7 months isn't reasonable in my opinion but then I'm just a tiler :)

Reply to kate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
kate
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.