Discuss Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Had a look at kitchen floor today approx 22m2. chiboard floor thats had hatches etc cut into it and customer wants to simply put insulation boards down and tile.
My issue is that the floors chipboard, not 100% sound and has slight bounce so my recommendation was to ply floor to elimenate bounce and any sort of movement, then if he wants lay insulation boards staggered and screwed(never used backer or insulation boards before) followed by ufh, slc, laying tile, grout and if req sealing.

Is this correct and should a decoupler be used ontop of slc if tile is porcelain or natural stone?

also price im thinking around

7 bags addy=140
4/5 slc=100
grout=30
labour=660
= 930 not inc decoupler,tile boards

Any advice as always appreciated:thumbsup:

My understanding of a floating floor is one thats laid on concrete with a really thick layer of some sort of insulation with chipboard ontop but i think you can also get floating floors on joists but i think there more for insulating reasons like sound proofing in a music studio. If you have movement in the floor or bounce i really wouldn't tile it untill it was solid.

I wouldnt tile a floating floor just due to my lack of experience to tell you the truth. My intention is if the chipboards on joists screw 15mm ply to remove bounce and then id like to lay 6mm backerboard of some sort over the ply and fix with spf addy and screw allowing me to build up under the backrboards if the floors high in areas allowing me to get a level surface to tile on without having to lift tile to adjust. lay ufh and slc over wires giving a smooth level surface to the put a sold bed and tile.

Is this sound guys?

Reply to Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.