Discuss Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scott

It its a conventional floor it will be joists suspended over a void. It its joist sat on a concrete base with insulation between then its still floating. I have seen them done in conservatories with mixed results, some fail and some dont. The general concesnus though is to not tile them.

It its a suspended floor sometime there are brick piers under the joist to stop the deflection that can be packed out to stop it, or additional ones added in.

Hi all, went to have a look at the 25m2 kitchen floor and the floor is not a floating floor and is of standard construction with chipboard nailed into joists. There is some squeeking and movement in areas but not a lot and the floor is made up of 3 rooms knocked through into one.

Travertine or slate is what the customer is looking to use and UFH matting.

My thoughts are to first,

Screw chipboard in areas of squeeking,
Lay 15mm Ply accross whole floor screwed at 300 centers to elimenate vertical movement and create one solid floor instaed of 3,
Bed UFH matting to PLy with a thin bed of SPF adhesive(keraflex most likley)and allow to go off,
Pour Mapei renovation screed SLC over mat to protect and give a good suface to tile on,

Not to sure wheither its recomended to put a Decoupler down ontop of SLC or is it over kill and will mapei SLC bond well to ply or is primer required?

Then tile as normal.

Correct steps?

S

SandyFloor

Cheers Daz defo price in Decoupler, I thought it be a good idea but warned the customer its not cheap though but why skim over the wires with a CHEAP RAPID SET FLEXIBLE adhesive before applying the slc ?

The wires have a tendency to float even with loads of tape or fixings and parts will be sticking above the slc when set. The addy holds it down better due to having a thicker consistency.

I'm thinking if there's a joiner on the job it would be better to uplift as much of the old chipboard as possible, reinforce the joists and replace with ply which would keep the floor level down.

Ah right , the ufh is the type that is attached to the mesh and i usually just lay a thin bed of addy and roll out the mat bedding it into the adhesive so it shouldnt be able to move but ive heard of the wire that comes in a roll doing what you have discribed so that makes sense.

Suggested to joiner and customer lifting chipboard but neither wants to do so due to the kitchen having just be installed ontop of it:mad2:

Reply to Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.