Discuss Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brandon31

Hi all,

I am a newbie so be gentle.

I am in the process of completely renovating my kitchen house built approx
1950, It was in a real state when I purchased the house (discovered when
stripping it) and I am trying to do everything 100% no bodge jobs.

I have stripped everything out and have now hit a dilema which I am sure some
one with more knowledge with me may be able to help.

I have removed the horrible green (I think) ceramic tiles fitted by the
previous owner....all fixed pretty solid took some effort removing them.

Under the tiles was a layer of what I believe was adhesive, some a brownish
colour with a crumbly texture and some a black/grey colour with a more firm
texture.

Under this I have found what looks like some old red quarry tiles covering
most of the floor, another part was what looked like screed and another part
that is just sand and earth tiles straight over it!!!!!!! a bloody
mess!!!!!!

Some of the tiles sound solid some sound hollow.

I have been told I can just use a self leveling concrete screed over the top
of everything but I am not covinced as the sand/earth section is very soft and
crumbly.

Can anyone advise on the best way of making this floor a more solid secure
floor ready for my new ceramic tiles?

As I have stripped everything back to brick etc I want to do everything to
the best finish now.

I appreciate any advice greatly

Cheers

B

brandon31

Hi Guys.

Appreciate all the replies but I just wanted a bit of and idea before I decide what to do so I know what to listen out for from experts.

As we all know everyone who comes to quote is an expert, but not everyone is so if I have some idea I can avoid the cowboys. Also here are some pics

DSCF0042.jpg DSCF0039.jpg DSCF0043.jpg

R

Rich

Thanks for the pics (although my computer wont let me see them), you seem to have your head screwed on.

The best thing you could do would be to send a private message to Dave, the admin of this site and he should be able to put you in contact with a (real) expert in your area. That way you will know that he knows what he knows what he is talking about.

A a rough plan, you will need to remove anything loose, remove anything that you can from the floor and hoover all dust and grit away. You may need to patch some areas in at this stage. Then a suitable SLC should be able to cover the floor (as long as all instructions are followed).

B

brandon31

Hi Barry,

I was concerned hollow sounds might meen damp underneath? the only tiles that seem loose are the a few round the edges of the sand/concrete filled areas. I removed the ceramics with a large chisel bit with my sds drill the ceramics were a tough nut but came up in the end but non of the quarry tiles lifted at all. I noticed bits of quarry tile mixed in with the sand area.

Hi Rich,

The pics are being funny on mine too but I just clicked them and they opened up, I thought as you stated sweep and remove any loose dirt/tile/screed sand etc and then SLC.

The previous tiles were well stuck and had no cracks or lift etc so I presume I will be ok.

My major concern is taking up the quarries and exposing allsorts of 70 year old nasty things thats would have been better left well alone while all settled and untouched I guess it will remain pretty solid.

B

brandon31

Morning all.

I dug out the the rubbish from one of the spaces without quarry tiles to find a solid concrete/cement base under it.
I can now also see around the edges that the quarries are seated on a 1-1/2 inch solid base and not just earth as I first thought.

I am hoping I can now fill in the missing floor to the same level as the quarries and then tile the whole floor or fill in to level and then screed the whole floor to level even more.

Does that sound ok?

Reply to Kitchen floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Kitchen floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.