Discuss Kitchen refit gone wrong (poor tiling) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi Folks

Long story short, a friends firm have been doing a kitchen reno for me along with some other work. I let them go to it whilst on holiday, and i'm not best pleased at the tiling I've returned to.

I've attached a couple of pics & wee video links, am I being over critical? (I don't think so, it's ruining the effect of my new kitchen). Now it turns out the floor was tiled, before the kitchen was fitted, to give a neat finish, also meaning, without taking it all back out, it's not an easy fix if at all.

I have a meeting on Friday with the main contractor & tiler, would appreciate any comments.

Along with the uneven tiles, at least 6 of them are intermittently moving slightly on ocassion, or making a popping sound when walking on them (I know that doesn't bode well)

Genuinely at my wits end.... :-(

20180704_164542 (1) - https://vimeo.com/user76846935/review/278347436/af2890a938
Floor - https://vimeo.com/user76846935/review/278349973/49345c63ad

20180704 164139 - https://ibb.co/bx5UUy
20180704 164248 - https://ibb.co/jfkDpy

I don't know if this is relevant or not, on checking dome of the rubbish that's been left behind. The adhesive that appears to have been used on 60cm x 60cm floor tiles, is Mape Grip D1. wall tile adhesive? (Could this be a major factor in the movement?)
20180705_155943.jpg
20180705_160001.jpg

If it had been used to fix the tiles it is a complete disaster. However it looks from the photos like your tiler has used the ready mixed adhesive bucket to mix up the grout (alot of us do similar). If it has been used to fix the tiles it will result in a failed floor sooner or later and yes, could well have helped cause your issues.

Thanks for that, there's 2 empty tubs, of the same stuff (One as you say appears to have been used to mix the grout in, but not the other, which only confirms my suspicions, that's what he's used, given it was only a floor that was being tiled (no walls)

D

Dumbo

Thanks for that, there's 2 empty tubs, of the same stuff (One as you say appears to have been used to mix the grout in, but not the other, which only confirms my suspicions, that's what he's used, given it was only a floor that was being tiled (no walls)
Again he could of used it to mix floor adhesive . We all used to do it years ago when we also did a lot more small wall tiling . Tilers very rarely bought buckets,Now any time I need one I have to buy one .

Again he could of used it to mix floor adhesive . We all used to do it years ago when we also did a lot more small wall tiling . Tilers very rarely bought buckets,Now any time I need one I have to buy one .

Possibly, a bit odd you'd take away the floor adhesive tubs and leave 2 empty wall tile adhesive tubs on a job with no wall tiles

So, a wee update (Thanks to those who replied)

Tiler came over on Friday, he then heard first hand the noise coming from the tiles...He couldn't explain it. I just got a blank look when I asked why the tiles were running off in several places.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with the joiner, who is still of the opinion it's a decent job. He's saying they used 1/4 ply, screwed at 100mm centres.

He then backed down a bit saying he'd get the tiler to replace any tiles i'm unhappy with (only about 99% of them !!), to be honest i've no idea where you'd start & finish with that, the tiling was done after the units were fitted, but i now have a Krion base unit gable & Krion breakfast bar on top of the tiles, which I assume would be nigh on impossible to remove.

As an aside I have a friend who's a surveyor, popped in to see me tonight for a look, he's a bit bemused as to what the actual issue is, but he felt some movement & heard noises at random times. He thinks it could be an adhesive issue, but most certainly a poor tiling job, and says like me, he wouldn't be happy to accept it either.

Really dunno what the next step is.

D

Dumbo

So, a wee update (Thanks to those who replied)

Tiler came over on Friday, he then heard first hand the noise coming from the tiles...He couldn't explain it. I just got a blank look when I asked why the tiles were running off in several places.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with the joiner, who is still of the opinion it's a decent job. He's saying they used 1/4 ply, screwed at 100mm centres.

He then backed down a bit saying he'd get the tiler to replace any tiles i'm unhappy with (only about 99% of them !!), to be honest i've no idea where you'd start & finish with that, the tiling was done after the units were fitted, but i now have a Krion base unit gable & Krion breakfast bar on top of the tiles, which I assume would be nigh on impossible to remove.

As an aside I have a friend who's a surveyor, popped in to see me tonight for a look, he's a bit bemused as to what the actual issue is, but he felt some movement & heard noises at random times. He thinks it could be an adhesive issue, but most certainly a poor tiling job, and says like me, he wouldn't be happy to accept it either.

Really dunno what the next step is.
1/4 ply is to thin . British standard for ply overlay is 15 mm glued and screwed at 100mm centres .

Hi Folks, after a wee break, finally got things moving on this, to my surprise, the joiner managed to lift the tiles this morning. Out of 45, only 5 broke, 40 came up easily (which i guess confirmed my suspicion, it wasn't done properly)

I've attached a couple of pics, i'd appreciate any feedback (not being a tiler, is the dot & dab method on to the tile the norm?)

**Also meant to ask, why would there be spacer clips in the adhesive?**

20180820_183225.jpg 20180820_183231.jpg

J

Just Rizzle

has he cut the plinths down because that looks like a boomerang than a plinth and put the rough end down that will warp if wet.
have you got more photos of the tiling you seem to be condemning this guy on one tile . you say its a floating floor over laying dosent stop it been floating whether you use ply or backer board. some floating floors a simply not suitable for ceramics and more suited to LVT.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Kitchen refit gone wrong (poor tiling) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Kitchen fitter used charcoal rather than grey grout which probably makes this look worse, but to...
Replies
Views
I'm doing a second floor condo kitchen, 6' by 9' of tile area. The surface is gypsumite...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are currently in the process of having our kitchen tiled and have some concerns about...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB