UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Knee pads, wear them ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

I have been tiling now for over 33 years and I have tried lots of kneepads from the cheap inserts up to The Alpro pads available from Tradetiler. I have used old sponge to kneel on and even rolled up cement bags to keep my knees of damp sand and cement screed in the years gone by.
My dad who was and still is tiling at the age of 72 would always shout at me for not using kneepads so it soon became second nature to have something beneath my knees.
Now back in the late 70`s and early 80`s, health and safety wasn’t so important so it seemed. Kneepads at that time were usually home made from such items as cushions from old sofas and chairs or even car tyres cut up and held on with string.
The 1st set of kneepads I had were made of heavy leather and leather buckle straps. Not only did they fall down around my ankles all the time, they were bulky and not that comfy. I guess they were better than nothing though.
As the years passed we were using some soft rubber kneepads with rubber straps that broke often due to having to keep the straps so tight. Nice and lightweight and nice to kneel on but they wore quite quickly due to their soft nature.
Then there were some similar types but they had a hard face to the pad, which sounded good, but when knelt on had a tendency to slide. Sometimes even mark the tiles.
Garden kneelers, the pad type were popular at one time. Being so cheap you could have six pads and scatter them about the floor in area you were working. No excuse then for kneeling on the cold wet floor.
While working in Australia in 2002, most of the work was floor tiling and i was trying all types to get something that suited me. I hated the strap type pads as after a hard day with some new pads , I got home and jumped into the shower. As I turned my back against the hot spray I felt a sharp pain across the back of my legs. I looked down too see 4 clean line of blood where the straps had rubbed my legs throughout the day. They hadn’t cut through my jeans just constantly rubbed all the time I worked but I never noticed. That was the last time I wore those or any other type of thin strap kneepads.
The next thing I tried was a rolling kneepad seat. The Aussie lads took the mick out of me big time but I thought I would have the last laugh but it wasn’t to be. As good as the idea sounded and the fact that the jobs I was doing meant that scooting around on wheels should have been ideal. It had its drawbacks. One was that you needed the seat perfect to get the weight off your knees but then the seat gave you saddle rash!. Also I nearly lost my fingers on a couple of occasions when I was on the seat and didn’t get my hands off the floor quick enough. How I didn’t break my fingers is a mystery to me. When a 14 stone man is rolling around on 5 small castors and you run fingers over, trust me it hurts.

Now today when you do a search on the Internet for kneepads there are all types to suit different jobs and our different preferences. Some like straps some prefer pads in knee pocket types and some like myself have always got on with the single kneeling pad type from Alpro. Some of the pads on the market these days have had a lot of thought into them. Alpros being one, I believe designed by a German doctor. Platinum seem quite good too but only ever having tried one on once I cant comment too much. The Redbacks I was told had a background in the cricket world and I believe the Military are using them for evaluation at the moment.

Anyway what ever you yourselves choose just use something and don’t try and be a hero. It may not start to hurt right away but in later years it will. I know too many who thought a few hours on their knees wouldn’t hurt them, but hours turn to days and days to years. Before you know it you are walking like an old man ……You only get the one good pair of knees and seeing as we spend our lives on them you must look after them.

The rest of this thread will show the different type of kneepads that I have tried and what I have thought of them. Its only my thoughts and I know some may disagree with some of my findings but if experience counts then please accept my 33 years worth, but whatever you do wear kneepads at all times at work.

G

Gazzer

So we begin with a basic Knee pad with straps. general-purpose-knee-pads.jpg
For, Lightweight and cheap
Against, not much protection , a tendency for straps to rub cut into legs.

Basic Pad in Knee pocket type IMG_0469.JPG
For, very cheap, can be doubled up
Against, solid feel and can shift around in the pockets so they don’t actually sit in the right place on your knee.

Alpro Kneeling pad alpro-knee-cushion-550.jpg
For, very comfy, no straps to hurt, long lasting
Against, really you need more than one unless you like moving it around with you.

Alpro Kneepads Aknee-pads-pro550.jpg
For, Very comfy again and due to their height can aid fatigue on your toes.
Against, straps can loosen and when kneeling I found due to their height you could fall off them when trying to move across the floor.

Platinum Knee pads platinum-knee-pads-550.jpg
For, good comfort and a warm feel. These seem to protect from knee to shin and straps feel firm without being to tight. I would try these if I were ever in the market for strapped kneepads.
Against, don’t like the material they are made from. Not sure how well they would clean up and how well the surface will wear.

Redbacks pads in knee pockets IMG_0470.JPG Redbacks product shot.jpg
For, Lightweight honeycomb texture. Very comfy and pre curved to fit the knee, Fills the knee pockets on my trousers perfectly and no twisting out of shape. So far they haven’t lost any shape either. Very good value
Against, actually non at the moment apart from the fact that when using any pad in knee pocket type you will have the wear on the outside of the trousers to worry about. Most good work trousers of this type do have stronger material on the knees to help but that’s another story.

Tilers rolling stools stool.jpg
A few different shapes and sizes about but pretty much the same. The one I tried had 4 castors and 2 pads to kneel on and an adjustable seat.

For, fun at 1st, could be comfy if you were built for it ie, fairly small built and not too heavy.
Against, Being 6ft 1 and 15stone didn’t work for me. I found it was too small for my size frame and you could get saddle sore. The wheels needed cleaning regularly especially when using fast setting adhesives. Quite common to run over your own fingers when moving about. It also made my toes hurt more due to pushing along . Expensive.

Lastly a big thank you to Sprung Ltd | Home the home of the Redback knee pads who have kindly donated some pads for JOTM winners.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

I bought some proper work trousers end of last year and got the inserts to go with it, (the same ones in the picture) Since then there hasnt been work day without them, it so nice to have some protection there.

I have trouble with a bunion on my big toe from always kneeling down fitting the bathrooms and tiling so the height issue could be a problem with the alpros. Thanks for the info neale

why the hell didnt you tell me this 8 years ago i can do more than an hour topps on the floor these days and i hurt the next day like hell

worst part is i always have had knee pads just could never find them in my van i had a couple of pairs of the platinum ones and when i did wear them i found them good and it took a lot of pressure off your toes so you dont get hammer toe

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I wouldn't last 1 day without kneepads, Anyone using in-pocket kneepads, check out the proper Snickers floorlayers kneepads. They are a beanbag type kneepad and are very comfortable. They are more expensive but will outlast the cheaper pad many times over. I have a pair for over 2 years and they show no signs of squashing at all.

snickers.jpg

Somerset
Sir Ramic - excellent knee pad post. Just to reinforce your message - my father has had both his kneecaps replaced - you cannot kneel on a replaced kneecap.

My parents cleaning lady has spent her adult working life cleaning floors with no knee protection, and now in her early 50's she is having a knee replacement op. That means she will have to find another job after the op. Now I am a tiler, and my wife is a cleaner - if we have knee ops we would also have to find new jobs.

So I use alpro kneepads and she uses the alpro kneeling pad. Well worth the investment.

But to everyone out there - choose whatever suits you. Anything is better than nothing.

G

Gazzer

Sir Ramic - excellent knee pad post. Just to reinforce your message - my father has had both his kneecaps replaced - you cannot kneel on a replaced kneecap.

My parents cleaning lady has spent her adult working life cleaning floors with no knee protection, and now in her early 50's she is having a knee replacement op. That means she will have to find another job after the op. Now I am a tiler, and my wife is a cleaner - if we have knee ops we would also have to find new jobs.

So I use alpro kneepads and she uses the alpro kneeling pad. Well worth the investment.

But to everyone out there - choose whatever suits you. Anything is better than nothing.

Today I saw some lads I know without any pads at all, probably thinking that it wont happen to them ! Crazy for the small cost involved.

H

Homza

Try proknees, they look like hockey pads. They are made by a small company in Maine. Custom Sizes, expensive though about $200 US. They do ship international. I have no financial interest in them, but they are the best thing for your knees. At little bulky at first but I without them I would have to give up the lucrative tile trade and go back to practicing law.:smilewinkgrin:
www.proknee.com

Doing my small part to fix the US trade imbalance.

D

DHTiling

Try proknees, they look like hockey pads. They are made by a small company in Maine. Custom Sizes, expensive though about $200 US. They do ship international. I have no financial interest in them, but they are the best thing for your knees. At little bulky at first but I without them I would have to give up the lucrative tile trade and go back to practicing law.:smilewinkgrin:
Contractor Knee Pads that Prevent Knee Injury by Proknee

I have seen this type of knee pad mentioned on the JB forum a few times Isaac.. A large investment
for a lifetime of pain free knees..

H

Homza

Some guys don't like them, especially if they are already happy with other pads. Some say they are hot, but i wear them in Hawaii.
There are a little awkward at first when you are walking to the saw. But when you are on your knees they are extremely comfortable. They distribute your body weight to your entire lower leg not just your kneecap.
They have various sizes depending in your height and calf size. And when the foam and straps wear out you can order new parts and reuse the frame.
If I say anymore I will expect some commission from them!

And Dave get some sleep, isn't it pretty late there?

G

Gazzer

Contractor Knee Pads that Prevent Knee Injury by Proknee

Very interesting and if they were avaialble here I would give them a try.

Reply to Knee pads, wear them ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there question re knee pads and rubi wheelie sit down thing( hopefully pic uploads ) I've...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.