UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Knee pads, wear them ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minesacarling

When I lived in Mother England work trousers were worn out jeans and knee pads were for fairies. But when I moved to Norway I noticed all tradesmen (and women) (should I say tradesperson? Not gone P.C in Norway. Yet.) were wearing purpose made work trousers with knee pockets for knee pads. My new boss took one look at me in my knackered levis and took me to a builders yard and bought me a pair of carpenters trousers (snickers or blaklader can't remember) and with it, knee pads. Well talk about a revelation. Got back to work, dropped to my knees to start setting out a floor, couldn't believe I'd worked so many years on bare knees. It was like kneeling on feathers, haven't looked back since. Was given a good tip, whatever brand of trousers you get, get same brand knee pads to fit trousers. Some people use their old ones or go for cheapest ones, if they don't fit snug you won't land on them when you drop to your knees.
Those pants with pads are ok for small jobs but no good for large floors where your on your knees day in day out

F

Fliselege

Those pants with pads are ok for small jobs but no good for large floors where your on your knees day in day out
100% disagree, worn them every working day for 7 years no problem, me and my boss will do between 30sqm and 45sqm floor tile in a day in exebition halls or shopping malls and be more than comfy.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bugs183

I use a combination of Alpro knee pads, the Alpro kneeling pad and redbacks, depending on the job. The redbacks are really comfy and are great for jobs where you are moving around alot, in different areas,awkward small jobs etc. I mainly use the Alpro pad as it just sits there where you are working, i actually have two, one for laying, and another for grouting or sealing stone where you don't want to scratch the tiles. For big commercial jobs where you will be doing long hours the Alpro knee pads really help your knees out, but i never strap them up, as they just annoy me.
PPI is really important, and thankfully the old school days of being called a girl for not wearing gloves,knee pads and glasses and really important ear defenders have long gone.

J

jonnyc

just picked this thread up.
will spend some time this evening looking through the options.
I have always worn pads , but I guess you can be just lucky and get no problems longterm but the sheer amount of time on knees and i am a floor man, may takes its toll.
I think this is a great post, balanced and unbiased and probably as important as any advice given on the forum.
we were all young/ non caring /free living and gung ho once but at what cost .
I have just had my first op and knee replacement imminent.

B

bugs183

Not enough of us take any ppe seriously.
I get as much kit, and invent as many methods that keep me off my knees in the first place.
Rollers on poles and fertiliser sprayers for priming and sealing, raimondi pedalo for grouting, scotch pad holders on poles etc for cleaning. Mechanics nitrile gloves for hand protection and a really powerful numatic vacuum cleaner so i'm not breathing in brushed up dust, or spreading it around the job.
Not to mention ear defenders, glasses and paint sprayers dust masks.
It all adds up, coming home deaf, having brown bogies and knackered knees has to take its toll at some point.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Not enough of us take any ppe seriously.
I get as much kit, and invent as many methods that keep me off my knees in the first place.
Rollers on poles and fertiliser sprayers for priming and sealing, raimondi pedalo for grouting, scotch pad holders on poles etc for cleaning. Mechanics nitrile gloves for hand protection and a really powerful numatic vacuum cleaner so i'm not breathing in brushed up dust, or spreading it around the job.
Not to mention ear defenders, glasses and paint sprayers dust masks.
It all adds up, coming home deaf, having brown bogies and knackered knees has to take its toll at some point.

I agree, when I did the big power vibro jobs, we only were on our knees for screeding / fixing. All the grouting ( 1,100 m2 per store) was done standing. Ergonomics:thumbsup:

F

Fliselege

My Mum has a sense of humour, is it printed there incase you forget or cos you're stupid she said... wondered what she wanted a permanent marker pen for, won't tell my daughter what it says, she's of the age of repeating innapropriate things at the wrong time.
Mums visit March 2012 120.jpg

A

adamunited

I wouldn't last 1 day without kneepads, Anyone using in-pocket kneepads, check out the proper Snickers floorlayers kneepads. They are a beanbag type kneepad and are very comfortable. They are more expensive but will outlast the cheaper pad many times over. I have a pair for over 2 years and they show no signs of squashing at all.

View attachment 22919

these are the ones i use too i think they are fantastic.

Reply to Knee pads, wear them ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there question re knee pads and rubi wheelie sit down thing( hopefully pic uploads ) I've...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.