UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss lafarge low laitance screed,tiling with 600x600 polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

deankyall

guys is this any good for measuring the moisture content from the screed?
$(KGrHqZHJBwE7yt-GuPiBPHB8,Umjw~~60_12.JPG

or this
!BjcodbgBGk~$(KGrHqIH-CgEs8gIVvt)BLTlyV,oIw~~_12.JPG

D

deankyall

who do you believe??,aparently if you prime it puts moisture back into the screed which is then trapped there ,most failures are because there is moisture in the screed he told me,after sanding,the adhesive bonds with the screed,it says on bag no priming needed!! have you used it ,if so which method did you use?the rep is coming to site and only when he gives go ahead will i start,customer( a builder) is doing the prep.this is a worry ,if it goes wrong i wonder where we would stand given his input?

D

deankyall

Dean reading this thread I am alarmed, how can you put your name to a job where someone else is doing the prep work and you are being forced to use an adhesive that you havent used before and are unfamilar with? you need to put your foot down and do the job the correct way with the correct materials and prep or walk away as all you will be doing is asking for trouble

really,you would walk away,!! the way i see it is its a low latence screed,the builder is going to hire the correct sander,it only has to be lightly sanded to give it a key and remove light layer of latence,this will be inspected by the kerakoll rep,he will do a carbide bomb test,then only when he says its correct,and ready,and i mean prep too, will i tile it,i use kerakoll adhesives all the time ,just not this one ,if you have done one of these floors ,then there must have been a time when you used an adhesive ,ie gypfix that you hadnt used before?

In europe kerakoll is a major supplier of this adhesive for use on these screeds,we cant just walk away from all these jobs,how do we earn a living??of course i wont do it if it isnt prepped correctly,thats why ive got the rep involved,what more can i do?

D

deankyall

good luck Dean it sounds like you have decided to put all your faith in a sales rep
cant see the logic there,when you buy any adhesive your faith is in that company, wether it be bal,mapei,who by the way told me a completely incorrect way,as i discussed with ajax 123,my faith is in myself to do a good job and for a major company to supply a decent product that is up to the job,ok lets say you were doing the job ,tell me what your methods would be,just for example i met natasha the local nicobond rep this week ,so if i use their product am i not putting faith in her too??,whats the difference,we have to use something to stick the tiles to the floor,we have a major company making an adhesive that they say sticks to anhydrate sceeds, as do mapei say the same thing with a primer,which one depends on who you speak to!! same as bal ,same as weber, .....

S

Spud

Dean I am not picking an arguement with you just hoping that you dont end up costing yourself a lot of money
I havent tiled a low latence screed but i have tiled hundreds of gypsum screeds when working in Germany over there the screeding company is responsible for sanding off the laitence not the tiler the floors were primed by the tilers with acrylic primer and traditional sand and cement screeds were used in wet areas
I suffered large losses from matting failures so I guess that taking advice from sales reps doesnt give me much faith and given there are several tilers on this forum that have used the kerakol and have had issues with it on flow screeds that is enough for me to say no thank you get some one else to do it
so to answer your question on how would i deal with your job i would prep the floor by using a wire brushes attached to to drive board of my 17inch buffing machine ,I would get the floor moisture tested prior to starting and i would use a gypsum based adhesive , i would insist on using expansion joints as cold expansion joints " silicone joints "do not comply with b.s for heated screeds , if the customer didnt agree to my spec then how can i do the job and give a guarantee ,i would have to decline it

D

deankyall

how far did you take it dave ,what im saying is if i follow every step they recommend,let them carbide bomb test the adhesive and check the prep,and it still goes wrong ,then surely i or the builder would be able to take legal action ,or they should at least compensate people??,was your issue the one with the dietra matting ,or did you have any more issues,as i have read a thread where you praise ,the rep ,i think his name was bill,rep also said its not a dispersion adhesive,im seeing him next tuesday,what questions would you put to him
Just to say, you do not prime with H40, but it does dry by dispersion. I had a failure with said adhesive and got zero back up from kerkoll.

D

deankyall

apart from the adhesive,everything else willl be done this way,i can still switch to gypfix ,its not set in stone ,its just that the customer and i have had various conversations with the rep,who seems to know what hes on about,used to ne tiler apparently,!! but he is not making any money from us personally as we are buying from a local supplier who import direct from italy,so he has no motivation just to get the sale,also when i met the rep from nicobond ,i was promised a sample to try ,never actually bought one ,and then said one would be sent ,never turned up,so how can i recommend without trying,im getting a bag of kerrakol on tuesday,so can try,also ajax 123 has stated hes seen no problems at all with h40 ideal apart from one that was tiled on wet screed
Dean I am not picking an arguement with you just hoping that you dont end up costing yourself a lot of money
I havent tiled a low latence screed but i have tiled hundreds of gypsum screeds when working in Germany over there the screeding company is responsible for sanding off the laitence not the tiler the floors were primed by the tilers with acrylic primer and traditional sand and cement screeds were used in wet areas
I suffered large losses from matting failures so I guess that taking advice from sales reps doesnt give me much faith and given there are several tilers on this forum that have used the kerakol and have had issues with it on flow screeds that is enough for me to say no thank you get some one else to do it
so to answer your question on how would i deal with your job i would prep the floor by using a wire brushes attached to to drive board of my 17inch buffing machine ,I would get the floor moisture tested prior to starting and i would use a gypsum based adhesive , i would insist on using expansion joints as cold expansion joints " silicone joints "do not comply with b.s for heated screeds , if the customer didnt agree to my spec then how can i do the job and give a guarantee ,i would have to decline it

D

deankyall

just thought id post this from sir ramic and ajax 123 from another post:smilewinkgrin: hope they dont mind....

Realistically though you could say that about any adhesive. In fact most tilers use standard portland cement adhesives and these are clearly a potential issue. I kerakoll are confident enough to say it then fair enough. Bear in mind of course that at least they have a track record and they are a large company so can back up any issues they have both financially and tecnically.

Fully understand what you are saying, when i spoke to the rep he filled me in on the background of Kerakoll as a business and very interesting it was. What i mean about testing it is how would i know it was up to what they say or not ? Obviously if i had a failure then its not but if it works then how long do you wait too say its a success ?
For me i would put faith in them and try it.

D

DHTiling

It was with Dural CI. Was told it was suitable. I then found out it did not set hydrolically hence priming to consolidate the surface and then the use of Dural , left no where for moisture to go. I then spoke to bill and this is where I received no further response from them, basically I was left to get on with it.

Gypsum friendly H40. Only because it contains very little cement that can react with gypsum.

The product might well work on a unprimed surface but IMO never again will I have anything to do with them.

At the end of the day, follow to the T what they say and keep your fingers crossed.

D

deankyall

i can understand that,and why it didnt dry,but as they are a major supplier with my local wholesalers now,i feel id have at least a few avenues ,have you used gypfix?is it like a normal addy ,i have so much work to do on these screeds got to be sure
It was with Dural CI. Was told it was suitable. I then found out it did not set hydrolically hence priming to consolidate the surface and then the use of Dural , left no where for moisture to go. I then spoke to bill and this is where I received no further response from them, basically I was left to get on with it.

Gypsum friendly H40. Only because it contains very little cement that can react with gypsum.

The product might well work on a unprimed surface but IMO never again will I have anything to do with them.

At the end of the day, follow to the T what they say and keep your fingers crossed.

Reply to lafarge low laitance screed,tiling with 600x600 polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is my first post on here although in attempting to Google answers to my questions I...
Replies
Views
HI all, hoping for some help in terms of expansion and transition. I am tiling around 70sqm of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.