UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss lafarge low laitance screed,tiling with 600x600 polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

how far did you take it dave ,what im saying is if i follow every step they recommend,let them carbide bomb test the adhesive and check the prep,and it still goes wrong ,then surely i or the builder would be able to take legal action ,or they should at least compensate people??,was your issue the one with the dietra matting ,or did you have any more issues,as i have read a thread where you praise ,the rep ,i think his name was bill,rep also said its not a dispersion adhesive,im seeing him next tuesday,what questions would you put to him

I think you will find its the screed they test !!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
what is a low laitance floor ?

When you make a flowing self compacting screed or concrete as it compacts the water which is inthe material bleeds to the surface of the material. This bleed water brings with it some of the finer and lighter particles in the mix e.g silt, lime etc.... As the water evaporates this lighter. Material settles on the surface of the screed. This forms a friable laitance. Or skin......there is a thread some while ago which has a pic of wha this looks like but it is basically not part of the screed and so needs to be removed by sanding at an early stage of the screeds life. This sanding was found to be abused , ignored, missed, and was the cause of many tiling failures in the past. Some of the screed suppliers in recent years have acknowledged this problem and now put some special additives in the screed. One of these is a flocculating agent which binds the lighter particles together into bigger heavier particles which do not so readily float. Hence very little soft friable skin appears on the surface of the screed. It would be nice to say these are laitance free or no laitance but as there is ALWAYS laitance on the surface of ANY screed or concrete we cannot refer to it as such so we call i low laitance instead.

These screeds do not generally need to be sanded to remove laitance so the screeders job should be finished at the point the installation is complete. However it is essential to remember that all screeds and concretes need to be suitably prepared to receive floor coverings and this includes removal of any construction detritus or debris. The easiest way to do this is to sand the screed.

In easy terms the low laitance screeds should net need sanding to remove laitance but may need sanding for other reasons.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It is impoant to remember though that not all gyvlon screeds are low laitance as oth the low laitance and the classic versions are available. There are quite a few others now as well incluing gyvlon XTR, gyvlon soundbar etc etc.

Rember when you are asked to tile a screed...... Ask what type of screed it is.

D

deankyall

would like to thank everyone for their input,in particular ajax123,for his knowledge and willingness to share it,i shall be putting my customers in contact ,so they can hear it from the horses mouth so to speak,thanks alan.

also on another subject got my account approval from nicobond today,good prices,have used them before with no probs and they deliver next day to site,anyone tried their plastic ply?i did once with excellent results on chipboard floor,marble,no comebacks,2 years ago.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to lafarge low laitance screed,tiling with 600x600 polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is my first post on here although in attempting to Google answers to my questions I...
Replies
Views
HI all, hoping for some help in terms of expansion and transition. I am tiling around 70sqm of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.