Discuss Large tiles for a kitchen splashback? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

N!ck

The other half is adamant that she wants larger tiles for the splashback I am planning on doing this weekend as she wants minimal grout lines. I have had a look online and cant really find much in the way of inspiration. I know the norm is to use smaller sized tiles but was wondering if any one here had any examples of using larger tiles and it looking either great or not too clever.
We have gloss black units and are looking at possibly using a light cream coloured tile.
Any opinions / pics welcome :)

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i have used a few bigger tiles

the best look i have found is the bigger the better...most splashbacks in height between worktop and cupboards are 500mm ish so a 600 by 600 tile can look good as its 1 solid peice fitted with 1 vertical grout lines
the down side is that your sockets can sometimes odten end up being plunge cuts

looks good tho imo

i also have used ones about 300 by 250 and i didnt like that effect

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
These are the largest I've used on a splashback if this gives you an idea.

kitchen wall.jpg

And this was a job I did last week.

P1000523.jpg

Cheers
Pete

N

N!ck

Hmmm... she may get her way after all then. Just as she has with the worktop, the cupboards, the floor and the walls!
Bolter; that looks pretty good, thanks for the pics :thumbsup:
The only problem I see now would be having the weight of the tiles on the wall. They are plaster/skimmed plasterboard which obviously could not take the weight of heavy floor tiles (20kg-28kg/m2 depending on the plaster used I believe?).

D

doug boardley

Hmmm... she may get her way after all then. Just as she has with the worktop, the cupboards, the floor and the walls!
Bolter; that looks pretty good, thanks for the pics :thumbsup:
The only problem I see now would be having the weight of the tiles on the wall. They are plaster/skimmed plasterboard which obviously could not take the weight of heavy floor tiles (20kg-28kg/m2 depending on the plaster used I believe?).
just because they're large format doesn't mean the weight per metre is any more than smaller format tiles

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Large tiles for a kitchen splashback? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Doing a kitchen remodel and all is complete except for the backsplash. The kitchen previously...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I've been asked to tile over an acrylic splashback in a kitchen with 60x250on tiles. The...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Large tiles for a kitchen splashback?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.