Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Largish Kitchen/Diner - Idiots Guide to Floor Tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Homer

Hello All,

I'm having a kitchen/diner knocked through with a small extension added. Finished size is about 6.5m x 6m. The existing screed floor will be dug up and plumbed UFH fitted there and in the new extension before being re-screed.

Idiot question #1: How long should the screed ideally be left before tiling?
Idiot question #2: Should the tiling be done before kitchen units are installed or after?
Idiot question#3: I like the look of stone (some nice darker travertines, some polished, some vein cut/honed), but am concerned about wear and tear. Are porcelain tiles a lot more robust to kids/dogs/spills?
Idiot questions #4: I've been told that I will need an isolation membrane (large format tiles on screed). What adhesive should I use to fix this and then what exact adhesive should I use to fix the tile to it (I'm told that a rapid set cement based adhesive is what I need, but there are a lot of them).
Idiot question #5: What depth of adhesive (trowel notch size) should I use. What determines whether deep bed adhesive is needed?
Idiot question #6: I would like the grout to roughly match the tiles (mid brown). Is there a way to get testers or check the colour in advance?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

P

paul flight

:welcome:
1.. allow to dry for 10 - 14 days this depends on the thinckness of the screed
2. tile before kitchen is installed wall to wall leave a 6 mm gape between tile and wall for expansion. prime screed before fitting matting s.b.r primer
3 . ufh . fix a flexi decouping matting before tiling use grey rapid set flexi small notch trowel
4 . fix tiles with a 10mm notch trowel use flexi adhesive .mapie or bal are good!!
5. grout with fleix grout supplier will have colour chart( most trav is grouted with limestone grout)
6. as for tiled this is up to you porcelain has higher wear rate but trav looks better in my opinion.
good luck:thumbsup:

Reply to Largish Kitchen/Diner - Idiots Guide to Floor Tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Largish Kitchen/Diner - Idiots Guide to Floor Tiling?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.