UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Last Checklist before I start work tomorrow. Is it ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TiredGill

Sorry to go over old ground but I need to be absolutely clear I've done/am doing this right.

Floor

1) Strengthen floor by adding noggins every 300mm.

2) Lay 25mm WBP ply direct onto joists after having coated it on both sides and all edges with Mapei Primer G, leaving small gap around perimeter in case of expansion. Screw down with Spax flooring screws every 300mm at most.

3) Lay either Durabase or Ditra membrane with flexible adhesive (Mapei Keraquick)

4) Lay underfloor heating mat and cover with Keraquick and 30 x 60 porcelain tiles.

Walls

1) Green moisture resistant plasterboard already installed (before I found this site and saw advice about cement boards).

Joints taped and filled but boards are untreated.....do I need to prime the plasterboard with the same Primer G I bought for the floors? When I decorate usually in a normal 'dry' room, I seal the plasterboard with Dulux sealer before I paint or wallpaper....is the Primer G basically the same idea?

2) Dunlop shower tanking kits (2) bought (again before I saw this site) for use around the bath to cover whole wall and behind overbath shower. Are these ok to use over walls treated with Primer G (if that's what I'm supposed to do?)

3) Tile room using Mapei Keraquick and grout with Mapei Ultra Colour.

So does that look ok or have I missed something out / done something wrong? I'm out of my comfort zone here and kinda need a lot of (repetitive :smilewinkgrin:) handholding, lol.

I wish I'd found you lot a couple of weeks ago, you'd have saved me a lot of time/headaches/wasted money. :thumbsup: I really appreciate your time and advice.....especially since you've probably answered the same questions a million times before. :smilewinkgrin:

D

dagger

Floor

1) Strengthen floor by adding noggins every 300mm.

2) Lay 25mm WBP ply direct onto joists after having coated it on both sides and all edges with Mapei Primer G, leaving small gap around perimeter in case of expansion. Screw down with Spax flooring screws every 300mm at most.

3) Lay either Durabase or Ditra membrane with flexible adhesive (Mapei Keraquick)

4) SLC Durabase or Ditra membrane.

5) Lay heatmat.

6) SLC heamat

this will leave you with a flat concrete floor to tile onto, and as a bonus if you get a tile lipping you can lift it without pulling all the heat mat about (a real pain) and you will have 100% coverage of the wires.. so no hot/cold spots!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

D

dagger

you can also do iy this way:
35497419.jpg

you pays yer money yer takes yer choices!

T

TiredGill

Lol....you tilers earn your money, don't you? It's a labourious process. :)Thanks again, will get OH to have a look in TileGiant for slc when he picks up the rest of the tiles and adhesive etc.Does the rest seem ok....walls and type of adhesive being used (Keraquick)? The shop did say something about adding something to the Keraquick to make it a 2 part adhesive but also said they thought it wasn't needed.

D

dagger

Nice pic but wrong info...that is from schluter.com and not the uk site which shows different adhesives....see where it says thinset instead of adhesive..and also states to use un-modified which in the uk we can use modified..( flexi)

agreed dave it was for visual purposes only.

as in put down heatmat on ply, slc with fibreplan, ditra, and tile!

personally i would only use the decoupler if it was limestone, trav etc. or the ply was in loads of bits!!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TiredGill

i also have to ask why are you using a decoupler in the first place?
are you tiling with limestone or another natural product?

The tiles are porcelain. I thought it was better to help guard against any possible cracking problems and moisture getting to the ply?

Is my 'belt and braces' approach becoming 'belt, braces and straightjacket'? :embaressed_smile:

D

dagger

UFH and ply...i would use one all the time....lateral stress can crack any tile...might be over kill to some but i would rather walk away from a job knowing it was going to last years..
i agree if you can go for the ditra put it in!,
but 10mm of fibreplan over 25mm ply strenthend by the heatmat mesh (as a binder) i think dietra is overkill, that said if i had it i would use it so,

revised

1. over board 25mm ply screwed at 30mm centres,
2. lay heatmat and level with fibreplan
3. install dietra with keraquick
4.level ditra with fibreplan/keraquick
5. tile away!
6. grout with ultracolour plus

job done 10yr guarentee from me and dave!

B

Bolter

And you've no idea how much I wish it was you and Dave doing it! :smilewinkgrin: This will take me ages, lol. I'm a keen worker but a slow one.

Honestly, as daunting as it seems, just go for it! Plan everything before you start and make sure you set out properly, but when you get to the tiling, go for it. Just bare in mind, if you put something in and you arent happy, take it up again and restart. Everything is fixable!

How are you going to tackle the doorway? Are there existing architraves? Instead of trying to cut the shape of the architrave, make your life easier by cutting the bottom off it, so there is room to put the tile under.

Anything you are not sure of, just ask. :thumbsup:

T

TiredGill

How are you going to tackle the doorway? Are there existing architraves?

Haven't got a clue. :smilewinkgrin:

I've been thinking about that today...I moved the whole wall back a bit into the hall, so I could have a slightly bigger bathroom and I made the new doorway over a bit on the new wall. So far the door plate and architraves haven't yet been cut, the stud framing is still visible. I should really put them in first before the tiling so there is something to tile up to, I think.

P

Prem Tiler

And you've no idea how much I wish it was you and Dave doing it! :smilewinkgrin: This will take me ages, lol. I'm a keen worker but a slow one.

You shouldn't be thinking like this buddy. So far you are doing everything right. Coming on here and asking those who know. You will learn loads from this and although it will stress you out as I'm sure it already has you cant put a price on 'hands on learning'.

Take loads of pictures from start to finish and post on here once your done.

Reply to Last Checklist before I start work tomorrow. Is it ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Ive done some research which has confused me more than when I started reading. So...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.