UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Last Checklist before I start work tomorrow. Is it ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bolter

Half and half maybe. I think the darker bits are where the Keraquick was a little thicker so I dont know if the light bits are already dry or if they're not stuck at all. I'm thinking it might not be worth the risk to leave it?

I rubbed over it with a bit of 3" x 2".

You should be fine. If you have been walking on it aswell, then even better really. As long as the adhesive went right to the walls, and you weigh it all down at the seams, Im sure you'll be ok.

Let it dry overnight, and test it. Like find an edge and give it a tug :yikes:

About time we had an update pic though dont you think? :)

T

TiredGill

Think I have another problem.

After my run in with the Ditra and the Keraquick adhesive, I got worried about my ability to do a good enough job so I reverted to plan 'whatever' (just pick a letter, there were so many at one point) and got the plumber who was putting in my bathroom to do the tiling. My bottle went, simple as.

Anyway, he's done an acceptable job, bits here and there that a professional tiler probably wouldn't have done, but on the whole, okay.

However I'm just cleaning the bathroom today for the first time since it's been tiled and the grout (Mapei Ultra Colour Plus) on the floor seems to be rubbing off on the cloth. The floor has been tiled for a week, it was the first thing to be done. When he did it, the grout seem to sag back and sink between the tiles when it dried. After he'd done all the wall tiling he added more grout to the floor tiles to bring it back up to the usual level and it seemed fine until today when I went to clean the tiles.

The bathroom hasn't been used at all since the work was done as we'd moved out during it all. I was going to put Seal Guard on the grout tonight, ready for us coming back tomorrow and starting to use the bathroom but I don't know what to do now.

Will the Seal Guard help harden the grout up and stop it from rubbing out or have I got a bigger problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bolter

Think I have another problem.

After my run in with the Ditra and the Keraquick adhesive, I got worried about my ability to do a good enough job so I reverted to plan 'whatever' (just pick a letter, there were so many at one point) and got the plumber who was putting in my bathroom to do the tiling. My bottle went, simple as.

Anyway, he's done an acceptable job, bits here and there that a professional tiler probably wouldn't have done, but on the whole, okay.

However I'm just cleaning the bathroom today for the first time since it's been tiled and the grout (Mapei Ultra Colour Plus) on the floor seems to be rubbing off on the cloth. The floor has been tiled for a week, it was the first thing to be done. When he did it, the grout seem to sag back and sink between the tiles when it dried. After he'd done all the wall tiling he added more grout to the floor tiles to bring it back up to the usual level and it seemed fine until today when I went to clean the tiles.

The bathroom hasn't been used at all since the work was done as we'd moved out during it all. I was going to put Seal Guard on the grout tonight, ready for us coming back tomorrow and starting to use the bathroom but I don't know what to do now.

Will the Seal Guard help harden the grout up and stop it from rubbing out or have I got a bigger problem?

If the grout sinks, its usually because it is too wet/runny when its applied. There are instructions on every bag of grout/adhesive in how to mix it. Doing it wrong, is .....well ....wrong.

Also Im fairly sure if you asked, one of the tilers on here would have tried to match or beat his quote. Far be it for me to say that you could have done an "acceptable" job yourself

T

TiredGill

Also Im fairly sure if you asked, one of the tilers on here would have tried to match or beat his quote. Far be it for me to say that you could have done an "acceptable" job yourself

My problem was time though. We'd moved out as the bathroom suite had been ripped out and there had been various problems and hold ups along the line that meant that we had no working bathroom for longer than was able to be put up with. My eldest is disabled and wasn't able to wash in the tiny downstairs cloakroom basin so it had got to a point where I needed it done 'now' iyswim. We couldn't stay away from home for too long and most if not all, good tilers are usually booked up and wouldn't be able to just do a job at the drop of a hat so I felt a bit stuck tbh. It wasn't about money, once I had thrown in the towel, I just needed it done asap.

One thing I have learned through all this is to be much, much more prepared. I didn't appreciate how time consuming this can all be when you basically dont know what you're doing. I also didn't account for things going wrong. Next time, materials and goods will be had to hand and pros will be approached before one thing is removed from this house. That way, I'll not be in the position where I feel as though I have no choice and go along with things.

What's done is done I guess, we're moving back in tomorrow so I suppose I'll find out soon enough if the grout is going to just come out.

I do appreciate everyone's help and advice. Part of me regrets not giving it a go but I was getting pretty stressed about it all and had lost the confidence I originally started out with.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Last Checklist before I start work tomorrow. Is it ok? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Ive done some research which has confused me more than when I started reading. So...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.