Discuss Laying that first tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rsb123

OK, I know the concept is "don't lay the first tile until you know where the last one will end up", so when I've worked out all the measurements to make sure there will be no slivers of tile, are these the correct first steps (I'm starting to tile over a bath):

(After wall prep/tanking etc)

1. Measure up from lip of bath 3mm (for sealant gap) + height of tile + 3mm (for spacer)
  2. Attach a wood batten there and make sure it's dead level
  3. lay first row of tiles along this batten
  4. tile up to ceiling (I have no borders)
  5. wait for adhesive to set and carefully remove batten
  6. tile last row along top edge of bath
  7. wait for adhesive on that row to set, then grout
This is for 300x450 travertine laid lengthwise in brick pattern and I know I've left out working clean, sealing before & after grout etc.

Thanks

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Remember to look at the whole room. How will the window look when tiled? The last bathroom I did had sloping and curved ceilings. It took a lot of planning before the first tile went up. Do you have a laser level. Very handy for working out where to put your datum line. Good luck. Sean

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Laying that first tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Laying that first tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.