Discuss Levelling with ufh in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

6mm board is fine........(and has insulation properties v. similar of 10mm!) but level the floor first.....then lay insulation......then level again and tile.......this way you get the most heat transfer.......all the best

Thanks Lee, I have just quoted a job using exactly this method. I doubt I will get it, as someone will come along and say " you don't need to do all that" they will be much cheaper than me, but I know they will be cutting corners. I'm sure my competitors will dot and dab the 600x300 porcelain tiles directly to the concrete, maybe primed with PVA.

I hope my potential client is reading this thread, it may help me win the job.:thumbsup:

P

Protilers

Thanks Lee, I have just quoted a job using exactly this method. I doubt I will get it, as someone will come along and say " you don't need to do all that" they will be much cheaper than me, but I know they will be cutting corners. I'm sure my competitors will dot and dab the 600x300 porcelain tiles directly to the concrete, maybe primed with PVA.

I hope my potential client is reading this thread, it may help me win the job.:thumbsup:

I hope you client reads this too Phil..........and no doubt you have explained but I will give my reasoning.......

you level the floor first because you want to remove all the major and minor deviation from the floor........
then you lay the backerboard, because you now have a flat floor......then you lay the heatmat on the backerboard......and therefore the next lot of leveling will encompass the heatmat and the heatmat alone......
IE minimal depth with no air voids!!!!!!

then you can prime and tile as usual and the heatmat will be as close to the tiles as possible......as well as insulated....therefore maximum heat transfer......

this will give you not only the correct installation method but will also give you maximum heat transfer (IE......warm for longer and heats up quicker!!!).......oh, and lower running costs!..........

as I AM ABSOLUTLY SURE YOU ADVISED YOUR CLIENT..............

Lee

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Thanks all of you for advice :)

Aligage this is the installation guide mate it's a brand called rachem (from CTD) there are alot of pages but the instructions that come with the mat I get are from page 21 and it says subfloor, then mat, then tile adhesive, then tile it doesnt even mention slc either? Not saying you any of you are wrong as I see how it would be costly to run but just wanted you to see what I have got to follow lol!!

Here it is:
http://ru-ru.thermal.pentair.com/Images/EN-RaychemFloorheating-TH-CDE0695_tcm506-35938.pdf

Mate turn to page 32

J

joshtiler

That page is not included in the manual you get with the mat though mate it doesn't even mention it in the book. I totally agree with what all of you are saying about the heat loss it just doesnt say that you should use any sort of cement board which is stupid isn't it!! It labels it as an option when really it should be a must if it will make the mat more efficient?? Im still going to lay boards on the screed would it have to be the ones it says in the manual? What would you use mate?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Levelling with ufh in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB