UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Licencing how would you expect to get one in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Theres already a type of licence for site work,but its not enforced,CSCS card.and I dont mean just the H&S part.Ive seen all types of trades(including sparks & gas fitters) at inductions show a bit of paper that says theyve passed the H&S test,its a 10 minute multiple choice, but dont have the card to say they have been assessed & can do their job correctly.Started out as a good idea but not enforced.

I made inquiries about this a couple of months ago and our building trades training and certifiers offered me a customised short course to determine my knowledge and required contacts of jobs recently completed. It would cost me about $380 plus membership of $450. They knew I was off the tools so it was really just going through the exercise of evaluating my experience and knowledge together with actual jobs completed.
BCITO is the main organisation that provides apprenticeship for all our main trades.
New regulations mean it would take you 4 years to complete if you were a noob.
There was a short course but that was canned this year. About time I say.The building trades will be getting a shake up starting this month with only certified builders to carry out structural work in homes now. And I've heard that Tiling will go the same way in the next 18 months.
:thumbsup:

I

Ian

Written and practical exams would both be necessary IMO, to prove that the person had the technical knowledge and also the ability to put that knowledge into practice. That's why the driving theory test was introduces 15 years ago, loads of people could drive a car but had no idea how to read the road signs or manage the themselves and their vehicles out on the open road, tiling is a little like this, in that there are loads of people who can stick tiles to walls and floors but, don't know a great deal about the other 90% of the job, the theory, safe working practices and correct installation materials/processes.

Somerset
Nothing wrong with professionalism in a trade, and the opportunity for trade professionals to gain qualifications if they wish to develop their skills. The NVQ system already provides some qualification, and a measure of knowledge and (probably) ability within that trade. No doubt tiling would benefit from a more structured system - IMO the NVQ does not prove ability to tile.

Licensing is politics. It has absolutely no benefit for professionals. It does not improve your skilll, does not increase your income, and it is simply a means for the Government to further interfere in our lives. If you believe the political bull that accompanies "licensing" it is about "professionalising" a trade. If you believe that then look at the CSCS system, Gas Safe and Part P electricians. It does nothing to stop the cowboys, the weekend tradesmen, the semi-retirees, the immigrating tradesmen. That still exists in all the so called "licensed" professions - including plumbing. And do you really want to add £3000 of your hard earned money to someones "licensing" scheme every 2 years?

Give vent to your frustrations about people doing unprofessional tiling work by all means. But dont invite the Government to meddle in your trade. You wont like it when they have finished - no one ever does!

I

Ian

Most people are aware of the necessary qualifications needed to have electrical and gas work done in their homes, so no one in their right mind would let someone do this type of work who didn't have the right certificates. Having a licence is not just about protecting our trade, but also protecting the general public from inferior workmanship. I for one would be more than happy to pay for a licence to offer even more reassurance to my customers, it would be an investment that could only benefit the trade and the individual businesses.

Somerset
Most people are aware of the necessary qualifications needed to have electrical and gas work done in their homes, so no one in their right mind would let someone do this type of work who didn't have the right certificates. Having a licence is not just about protecting our trade, but also protecting the general public from inferior workmanship. I for one would be more than happy to pay for a licence to offer even more reassurance to my customers, it would be an investment that could only benefit the trade and the individual businesses.

I am sorry Bri - that reads like the last Conservative/Labour/LibDem manifesto.

Gas Safe does not protect the public - the daughter of the publisher of Future Publishing was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning - a plumber is currently in court on this case. Part P was a licence to provide qualifications to people who have not completed a full electrical training course. We already have the posts here about the CSCS fiasco.

I appreciate your desire to root out the people who complete sub standard work - but licensing will not do that. Its like comparing the theory of Karl Marx with the reality of Stalins Russia - noble theories that get corrupted in practice.

Steer well clear of any licensing scheme introduced by this or any other Government - and please dont encourage them.

I

Ian

I am sorry Bri - that reads like the last Conservative/Labour/LibDem manifesto.

Gas Safe does not protect the public - the daughter of the publisher of Future Publishing was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning - a plumber is currently in court on this case. Part P was a licence to provide qualifications to people who have not completed a full electrical training course. We already have the posts here about the CSCS fiasco.

I appreciate your desire to root out the people who complete sub standard work - but licensing will not do that. Its like comparing the theory of Karl Marx with the reality of Stalins Russia - noble theories that get corrupted in practice.

Steer well clear of any licensing scheme introduced by this or any other Government - and please dont encourage them.

So what's the answer? There are always going to be isolated incidents with regards to gas/electrical deaths, to just let this poor workmanship go on and on is ridiculous, customers need some sort of reassurance. Granted, there will be the odd few that slip through the net but, if people are made aware that tiling is not just a glorified DIY job, they can have work done knowing they will be receiving a quality job that will last. This license/certificate does not necessarily have to cost big money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before, enforcement and penalties can motivate a client to do what they can to ensure registered tradesmen only work in their homes. At some point of the project all parties must play their part. Tradesmen is registered, Client checks license and Council checks and approves project and signs off when client presents trademan's license details.
It works in the US why not in the UK ???

R

Rich

How about looking at it from a different side, I can see what Andy is saying. I have always wished that they would bring out something like this as I am yet to find a "tiler" round here that isnt a builder/chipy/plumber or has recently been made redundant and bought himself a cutter. But what if this is not the route to take, the government may well start something like this but the chances are they are going to charge a fortune and then not enforce it. I dont think that the problem here is the commercial side of things, more the public.

So, what if they were to make it easier to punish the cowboys? There is a big firm round here that have been going for years and have done tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage to somebody's house (wet room). I went in to price to put it right and told them to get the tiler back, she did and they gave her a quote to put it right!! I asked her why she wasnt going to chase them and she just said "I have looked into it but it would cost me more to chase them through the courts then I would ever get out of them"....

....Where is the incentive to do the job properly when you can make more money buy doing it quick/wrong and never getting any come backs?

I have seen similar countless times and I think there should be an easier way for the customers to get the bad work put right.

Reply to Licencing how would you expect to get one in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.