UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Limestone floor cracking. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pollybampton

This is my first post and it's a long one. Hope someone can help.
I had a limestone floor in my kitchen installed 9 months ago. Total area around 50sqm. Original floor was mahogany flooring on top of floor boards. Our kitchen was being renewed as well. The kitchen was being handled by the same firm that installed a previous kitchen in my last house. They're good.
They recommended going across the road to a shop for the floor. I'm happy to take the recommendation. The guy who owns the flooring store seems knowledgeable and reliable. He comes out to see our kitchen to measure up. We fancy travertine but he can't get it. We look at limestone. He can get that and we're happy.
The floor will need a ply wood subfloor. That's fine as we have to build up to the previous height anyway. From memory it's 18mm plywood.
At all times i stress to the kitchen people and to the flooring people, that they have to liase and work together to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Both companies agree.
So far so good.
Kitchen company offers to do the plywood work. They'll include it in the previously agreed price. This will save us £600 in time. Floor company are happy with this.
Plywood is completed. I see one of the fitters has bad blistering from all of the screwing down of the plywood. It takes 3-4 days.
Kitchen is fitted. Limestone arrives. 2 fitters arrive from the floor company. They are young and keen. They are sub contractors that do a lot of work for the floor company. The supply all adhesive , grout etc. There work starts, I have to get them to re-lay a couple of tiles that are well different. Surprised they would not have noticed themselves.
Floor is complete. Everybody happy. Floor has cost approx £6000.00 incl fitting. Fitters are paid cash. Within 3 months, hairline cracks begin to appear.
Floor company blames sub floor. I ask tilers if sub floor was ok. They say yes, they think so. I say it was OK as I saw them do it. Floor company says, for the first time, that maybe the floor itself is moving.House is 100 years old and no sign of subsidence.Tilers are sent out to "fill cracks." Looks fine. 6 weeks later, more cracks.
Blame game has started.
9 months down the line, the tilers have been out 3 times in total to repair cracks. The floor is completely covered in cracks running both ways on the tiles.
Kitchen company went bust early this year , and can't track down the plywood fitters. Floor people say it's the ply wood fitters fault, or the fault of the house ; it may be moving they say. Tilers say it would only be their responsibility if they had fitted the ply wood.
When the guy from the floor company came out at first, he never once mentioned anything about the possibility of tiles cracking. Not once, and floor movement was never mentioned either, despite the guy visiting our home.
I feel well and truly shafted, with no comeback. Can anybody advise me on how I approach this? Wife is a lawyer and says one is blaming the other and we're caught in the middle, so difficult to litigate.
One last point. We were told that limestone was easy to keep clean . We got the lithofin stuff as recommended. The tilers , sealed the floor before and after grouting and we followed instructions on daily/ weekly maintenance. the floor looks a disaster. The tiles are very light and seem impossible to clean. I'm not talking here about building up a patina, I'm talking that no matter how much you clean, and we have a steamer now as well, it never looks clean.
Any help or pointers or advice would be gratefully received.
If we resolve this, you'll be happy to know that you probably won't hear from me again.
cheers
Pollybampton:mad2:

P

pollybampton

Hi Dave, tiles are very light/ off white. We knew it would get dirty, but we thought we could clean it. Cracks are across the tiles both ways, and grout ISN'T cracked.
I can take pics but will have to supply tomorrow. I'm a photographer. My cameras are in the studio, and I have a 4 year old who is up past his bedtime. Wife is out. Will look up info about how to post pics and do that. I'll show pics that are typical and some of the worst ones. First photo job this week! I'm presuming that the guys sealed the floor with the recommended Lithofin stuff. They left us a leaflet on all of the lithofin products.

Hi..

I got some questions for you first..

What colour is the limestone..?

Are these cracks in the grout joints or the tiles or even both..?

|Do you have any pictures..? this will help us loads..

What are the tiles sealed with..?

D

DHTiling

OK.. It sounds like Stress cracks at the plywood board joints..( Expansion and contraction stress) but pics hopefully will confirm this..

A soft stone like white limestone etc will be subject to stress cracks on timber substrates and this is the reason that anti fracture membranes are used..

The fact that they are hard to keep clean could be a couple of issues from insufficient sealer applied as 2 coats on a white limestone would not be sufficient IMO.. and also if sealer residue was left on the surface then this would make it harder to clean.

P

Pebbs

Ohh dear Polly, this doesnt sound good so far from what you have wrote. I have a feeling the limestone is Moleanos, and I dont know why Im guessing it, just a feeling. It looks fab to start of with but it is the one stone I would never ever advise a client with children to go with it. Whats done is done, and we have to try and resolve the issue as best we can. 18mm ply over the floorboards, and no decoupling membrane. 50m2 is a large area without a movement joint, both of those could be the reason for the cracking. Can we address the cracking first as the cleaning regime is the least of your problems by the sound of it at the moment. When you have a moment to get some photos up for review, then we can have a look at it for you. Dont panic, stress never helped anyone.

Pebbs

G

Gazzer

Too many guesses without having more info. Pics would be good showing the pattern of the cracks, not just a close up of a cracked tile, Do the cracks seem to follow a pattern of the boards laid/

I agree with the decoupling membrane though.

What I dont understand is the comment about the flooring company not being able to get Travertine....? the most common stone around IMO ?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pollybampton

Hi Doug, No is the simple answer. I have never heard of what you have suggested, and nothing of the kind was even hinted at by any of the people involved in this fiasco.
it sounds like deflection to me, there'll be a lot of weight on the floor now, was their any noggins or bracers put inbetween the joists prior to the ply being fitted Polly?

P

pollybampton

OK guys, lots to ponder here and photos are needed to help diagnose this problem. I'll have images on line by tomorrow evening, children's bedtime permitting. The floor should have been cleaned as well by our cleaner, so shouldn't show me up. I'll contact the floor company to find out the type of stone and the thickness. Original quote was for Fiorito Travertine 610x457x10mm but they couldn't get this size in time for me, they only had 457 square.
Limestone was then chosen at 10mm thick. If thickness is an issue here, I'll point out just now, that we have only followed advice given to us by the people involved.
Too many guesses without having more info. Pics would be good showing the pattern of the cracks, not just a close up of a cracked tile, Do the cracks seem to follow a pattern of the boards laid/

I agree with the decoupling membrane though.

What I dont understand is the comment about the flooring company not being able to get Travertine....? the most common stone around IMO ?

P

pollybampton

Evening all,
I have a few images of the limestone tiles showing the cracks. There are some single images, and there is one long image which I've made up ( very roughly) from a series of images. This long image shows the extent of one of the cracks and the line that it follows. Just hope I can do the attachment thing. other cracks 00004_1.jpg other cracks 00003_1.jpg other cracks 00005_1.jpg other cracks 00001_1.jpg other cracks 00002_1.jpg
pencil.png

Attachments

• other cracks 00006.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Limestone floor cracking. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.