UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Limestone floor cracking. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pollybampton

A couple of questions now.
1. Is a tiler expected to know if there is a chance of deflection?
Is the person who first visited our house and gave us a cost expected to give advice about possible problems like deflection?
He just keeps saying he didn't do the ply wood, so the "sub floor" is not his responsibility.

Here's a copy of his quote.
Re: Quote for new stone flooring: kitchen & utility (incl. cupboard)
Further to my recent site visit, please find set out below our supply & fit quotation.
Quote includes:
Supply 50 sq.m Fiorito Travertine honed & filled, 610x457x10mm
Flexible adhesive, flexible grey grout & sealer. (colour of grout T.B.C)
Delivery from mill to site.

Costing:
Total £6,445.75

The stone will be fitted to the leg of the new units, the plinths and end panels should be cut to suit, by others, the stone/adhesive. The tiles will be sealed prior grouting and a second coat after.

All sub –floors to be prepared by others, however, we would liaise with Kitchen works to confirm. A hatch will be made in the utility room, a detail to be confirmed.

All prices are including the standard rate of VAT.
We would need approx. 2-3 week from placement of order.
Please ensure that your existing sub-floor is sound, dry, flat and even prior to our works commencing. If the subfloor is not flat we will try to improve this, but will not be responsible for an un-even new floor.
Payment terms: 100% of the materials cost plus 50% of the labour cost at placement of order (£), the balance at completion of works. Please note that we accept most major credit and debit cards.
There may be some additional costs if you wish us to remove existing floor coverings / if work is required to improve the sub-floor prior to fitting your new stone floor
Please confirm the exact width, finishing & grading required at the time or ordering
All stone vary naturally in texture & colour. No sample is representative of the whole range of colour, texture and grade. Stone is sold by description, not by sample. On rare occasions, a minor variation in stone thickness might occur.
We request that the floors are inspected at the completion of our works and accepted and then paid for. Any legitimate snagging works will be immediately undertaken, and at any event, the floors must be passed as acceptable and paid for before any other trades commence work.
Any damage to the floors by other trades after our works are complete will be subject to additional remedial costs.

Thank you for this enquiry, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call me at the showroom.

M

mikethetile

the tilers should still have checked the floor prior to laying as they should be aware that the job will fail if any deflection is present

this is a diificult one not helped by the kitchen fitters going out of business

you really do need to seek legal advise on this as its not at all straightforward, as Doug rightly says the tiling shop expected the subfloor to prepped right before their arrival and was part of the conditions when you accepted their quote but on the other hand they agreed to liase with the kitchen fitters and they accepted the floor as fit to tile

your house insurers might have legal cover , if so a chat with them may get you forward on this matter

M

mikethetile

yes the tilers should have been aware that there was deflection and advised that it wasnt suitable for tiliing putting the onus back on the kitchen fitters to prep the floor properly

a lot of the deflection in the floor is caused by movement in the joists and the joists need to be braced with noggins to take out any bounce. prepping a floor for tiling needs to be done by someone with knowledge of whats required for tiling. asking a chippy with no tiling experiance or knowledge to overboard a floor is asking for trouble as they will follow instructions and simply overboard the floor. this is why tilers take responsibility for prepping the subfloor

P

pollybampton

The floor seems very firm and solid. If you jump on it at one end there is a very slight vibration.
Is deflection inherent in the floor boards and joists, or can it be introduced by the plywood?
The kitchen company recommended me to go across the road to the flooring company. Flooring company were happy for Kitchen company to do the floor. They knew the kitchen company to be reputable. They had previously fitted a kitchen for us ( same tradesmen) in a previous house. We're talking a £40k kitchen in the last house. This one was only £20k because we were keeping the original worktops and no appliances were supplied this time. They are qualified joiners, not fly by nights.
Has the person who sold us the floor and visited the site no obligation to tell us of possible issues with stone floors?

D

doug boardley

It is possible that movement could have been felt under foot! yes the tilers should have known and even recommended ditra matting or similar decoupling.
Who ever prepared the floor ie kitchen men? are responsible IMO
a decoupler wouldn't have helped with vertical deflection tho Joe, and I'm assuming it's vertical deflection that's caused the problem here and not lateral expansion.

H

hillhead

a decoupler wouldn't have helped with vertical deflection tho Joe, and I'm assuming it's vertical deflection that's caused the problem here and not lateral expansion.
That's right Doug,as i said earlier the sub floor needs to be exposed and inspected before strengthening which if done right will eliminate any vertical deflection.This all plus the decoupling will all help the finish which is needed IMO

M

mikethetile

you really do need to take legal advise

the tiletrs agreed to liase with the kitchen fitters, with proper communication this would have been avoided

if the kitchen fitters are telling the tiling shop that they are experianced at this work then the shop may not have checked the floor before sending tilers over to do the job

the fact remains that filling the tiles isnt going to work as the movement in the floor will break the filler out . this problem isnt going to cure itself

there is movement in the floor and it needs rectifying and retiling

firm legal action is needed to sort this out , both parties have let you down and are refusing to take responsibility

P

pollybampton

I do feel like the victim and caught in the middle. All my wife and I have done is spend a fortune, and we have a disaster on our hands. I've told the floor company that we're investigating the ins and outs and do's and don'ts of stone floor covering. He has now agreed to come out to see the job. He has refused so far ( since first asked in January) instead, sending the tilers out to grout. He says the tilers advised me to strengthen the floor. This is RUBBISH, and gives me hope that if he is resorting to lying, I might get somewhere.He's bringing with him the stone rep. After tonights chat, it's fairly obvious that that will be a waste of time. However, it will give me the chance of a face to face with him, on site. Let's see who blinks first. He is still going on about the plywood. I saw the guys fit it. Well, not every last sheet and every last screw, but I was in and out and I saw nothing untowards. At the end of the day, the floor will get ripped up, and we'll see the plywood. We'll probably go back to a hard wood floor. Not because we don't like stone; we love it. However, we didn't realise how cold it would be underfoot, and the cleaning maintenance is a nightmare with 2 young kids. Why did we rip up a mahogany floor that was 3 years old in the first place? The colour didn't match the work tops.
One last thing, the tilers were sub contractors. However, my wife reminded me, that we paid the floor shop for the fitting, not the tilers direct. So there is an additional responsibiity there. My guess is that the tilers are stone cutters and smudgers. They're young and probably not experienced. The things you guys have mentioned have never been brought up in conversation with the tilers. You'd think if they were experienced, they would say right away what the problem is.
Many thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.
Meantime, while I'm waiting to rip the floor up, what's the best way to get it clean, sealed and in a maintenance friendly state?

you really do need to take legal advise

the tiletrs agreed to liase with the kitchen fitters, with proper communication this would have been avoided

if the kitchen fitters are telling the tiling shop that they are experianced at this work then the shop may not have checked the floor before sending tilers over to do the job

the fact remains that filling the tiles isnt going to work as the movement in the floor will break the filler out . this problem isnt going to cure itself

there is movement in the floor and it needs rectifying and retiling

firm legal action is needed to sort this out , both parties have let you down and are refusing to take responsibility

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Yes the K/fitters should have done a solid floor for tiling but IMO it is the tile fixer who needs to make sure the floor is suitable for the tiles to applied.. So the tiler should have advised the way to go before just going ahead and tiling it.

If a comp is to guarantee their fixing then surely they should be 100% confident on the substrate and not just pass the buck to the k/fitters..

P

peckers

Just thinking out aloud but was there any other work done below this floor? is there any rooms below where a wall has been taken down and the floor is not as supported as it used to be? The floor may have had no deflection in it before tiling commenced and there is now alot of weight added and it has now got deflection. was it tiled and then granite worktops applied as this all adds weight to the floor. What im trying to say is that the floor could have been prepped and no deflection detected without all the extra weight applied. the kitchen fitters who prepped the floor may have thought it was ok if they just jumped up and down on it.
Its as if the weight issues had not been taken into account!!!
You really need legal advise on this as the blame is being passed around. I hope the out come is in your favour.
As to remedies is there any way the floor can be accessed from below and supported by a rsj to stop the deflection??? then the damaged tiles could be replaced. As I said just thinking out aloud...

Reply to Limestone floor cracking. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.