Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Limestone on a chipboard floor, with UFH! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

My intention was to initiate,profession adult debate in response to comments. As said,I use a multitude of products.
For someone to say "Mapei is better than Bal",this requires clarification & evidence.
An un clarifed statement carries no weight.
Anyone rubbishing an entire brand,must have reason to do so.
Perhaps the brand rubbishers would like to share their experiences with any products that they have used within the range & explain & compare to other like products from other brands !
Pot life, workability,ease of use,cost,faliures after using.
If we are going to have public debate for the benefit of users,then let's try keep this relevant,professional & informative.
I know cost is a big issue with Bal,some of their products are considerably dearer than others. This does not make them inferior.
Nick, I doubt many pro tilers would doubt that bal products are certainly superior to most other brands, the only real bug bear is the price. I can't get bal products at anywhere near the price of mapei products, thus this has to be reflected in my quotes to customers, ie a comparable product to bal but at a more reasonable price.

T

Time's Ran Out

My intention was to initiate,profession adult debate in response to comments. As said,I use a multitude of products.
For someone to say "Mapei is better than Bal",this requires clarification & evidence.
An un clarifed statement carries no weight.
Anyone rubbishing an entire brand,must have reason to do so.
Perhaps the brand rubbishers would like to share their experiences with any products that they have used within the range & explain & compare to other like products from other brands !
Pot life, workability,ease of use,cost,faliures after using.
If we are going to have public debate for the benefit of users,then let's try keep this relevant,professional & informative.
I know cost is a big issue with Bal,some of their products are considerably dearer than others. This does not make them inferior.

Although not at all relevant to the DJS thread your points should possibly be discussed in a new thread for others to participate in.
I'am sure its a subject that has had previous discussion in a manner you describe as 'relevant etc... however I've re read through this post and find your replies inaccurate, argumentative and disparaging.

T

Time's Ran Out

Nick, I doubt many pro tilers would doubt that bal products are certainly superior to most other brands, the only real bug bear is the price. I can't get bal products at anywhere near the price of mapei products, thus this has to be reflected in my quotes to customers, ie a comparable product to bal but at a more reasonable price.

As the World leader in adhesives, I'am sure that Mapei pro tilers would consider their brand superior - and as with all products 'personal preference' is usually the deciding factor.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

was trying Doug.
Will be my final post on matter unless I get some intelligent response as you have done !
My point is that to simply say "one manufacturer is better than another" ,without facts or evidence serves no purpose here,is not informative,neither helps new tilers to make an informed choice.
Yes "cost" is an issue,i accept this
More valid input is appreciated. I have used many of said manufacturers products,some are ( in my opinion,great & worth the money ), however is not my goal to sell them here,but to ask those who have such a downer on the brand in general to state why & which of the products from that brand they have used & why they do not like them.
:thumbsup:

Hi Peeps, just had an email off the customer and I not even quoted yet (so he must have got another one back!)

Decided not to go for the limestone. (which personally I think is wise choice!). If he's going to pay that much for the tile's, he doesn't want the expense in an apartment he will own for roughly 5 years.

So now he's having black honed slate on the floor and 200x100 white gloss bevelled brickbond on the walls, and still interested in UFH. Ah well, at least he's still talking to me!!

Thanks again for all the advice, I will know how to handle it better next time. :thumbsup:

Reply to Limestone on a chipboard floor, with UFH! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

DJS

TF
Peel Hall, Manchester

Thread Information

Title
Limestone on a chipboard floor, with UFH!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.