Guest viewing is limited

Discuss looking for help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

neil terry

I have never been a fan of tiling courses,think they are too short and turn out a lot of tilers who think they are the best thing since sliced bread,however if you go into it thinking that you will not know everything by time you have finished and you will be slow and hesitant on jobs for the foreseeable future,then you will definetly have a good chance of making a living out of it.

I have had a few apprentice's over the years,and the best advice i gave to them was to pay attention,watch what am doing and why i do it,and if your not sure ask.

Years down the line,i still ask questions if someone does something different than me, for the reason it might make my job easier.

No matter how long you do something you can always learn more,hence my favourite saying "everydays a schoolday".

Good luck in whatever you decide,and all the best for the future:thumbsup:
thanks for that mate that's why am not to shore about the courses how much can you learn in the time your there that's why i would like to watch help someone am shore to pick up more skills and tips that way then in any course but on the other hand a course is better then nowt

Not sure if your havin a pop at me there MZ. Niel said he wanted to start his own business, not be an apprentice. That's why I thought training would be the best option....do the course, start a business, hang around here for tips and advice. Trust a scouser to find a way of doin it on the cheap anyway.

I definately know I'm not the best tiler since sliced bread, we were taught that, and my logic is good enough to know that anyway. And I know I don't know everything, and I still need to learn because they taught us that on the course too. And I knew that about life anyway. Forgive me for being new to this and enthusiastic. Neil, good luck in whatever you choose.

& Massai thanks for listening to my rant. I've seen jobs done by supposed time served tilers, and they cut tiles like an amatuer - whats that all about. MZ is right though, you do need the right attitude, and willingness to learn, either way.

Did you post a link? Not sure it's working.

I did the 4 week course at PITT in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Plumbing, Wall, Floor and Advanced Tiling.

As the other guys said, this kind of course is fast and doesn't give you experience of everything. If you already got CSCS, and your looking to keep working in that area of construction, then maybe an NVQ and apprentiship maybe better for you. Most important thing is - do your research and choose what is best for you based on your personal circumstances and ambition.

I never really looked into NVQs, as I just wanted to get out of the job I was in, and start my own business asap.

Last edited:
Yes, I did find the course good and I would recommend PITT, if that's the kind of course you decided to do.

As your in Rochdale, I wouldn't recommend commuting everyday. Get a hotel round the corner, so you have time to read & write-up your notes at night. I got tired of bombing it up and down the motorway everyday, and wished I could have got a hotel.

As you will see from the thread I started yesterday, I've got a really fancy natural stone job to do, with possiblity of undefloor heating. And I still need the experience of others to help me get the quote right.

No Probs, glad to help. Just remember to check the practical course content, say compared to what you do in the advanced week at PITT.

That's was what made me choose them. But others, maybe closer to you might do something similar, so it's worth looking around. You can always make a few calls, and some might even offer you a visit to the facilities before you book.

N

neil terry

What is your background Neil? I am a nieghbour in Oldham:thumbsup:
hi mate after starting up as a tiler done about 10 jobs for friends and family but not got the confidence to just start up yet don't think i no enough yet so was looking at ever a course or going out with a tiler to watch help to get more confident did get a number of a guy in burnley to help me of nick :thumbsup:but he only got big jobs on at moment so he going to ring me when he got something suitable for me to come along on so at moment just looking at the courses out there did you do a course if so witch one or do you need some free help

Reply to looking for help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
looking for help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.